Chapter 23-No going back now

Kylie's POV

"Going on a car ride!" I sang loudly.

"We're going on a car ride!" James sang back.

"Going to Egypt," he sang again.

Sigh, Egypt. I do not know If I want to go to Egypt or not now. I mean, I want to know if my sister is okay and what is going on with her, but I have this feeling that she might be okay without me. I can't protect her all her life. Maybe it is just this instinct to protect her all of the time. Ever since mom died, I swore to always protect her.

Mom and dad died in the accident. I can't even remember how long it was ago. We were with Grandma at the time. Grandma seemed all uptight. I didn't think much of it at the time. I thought that I was imagining things.

As it turns out I wasn't. Mom and dad were in a car accident. They say that the inside of the car exploded. Now how can the inside explode? I had asked Grandma over and over again what she was worrying about. She told me that she forgot if she had shut off the stove at home. I was naive enough to believe it when I first asked her. Now I know better.

How could the inside explode? The car that they hit, hit on the outside. There was no gas tank, or bombs or anything inside the vehicle. As far as I'm concerned there was nothing in that vehicle to cause an explosion. Unless there was something planted inside. Something really small. Something that was too small to detect.

"What's wrong? You suddenly stopped singing," he asked me.

"Just didn't feel like singing," I shrugged.

He searched my face. I didn't want him to know that I didn't want to go or that I was upset so I turned my head away.

"You don't want to go?" he asked me. Although it was more like a statement than a  question.

I didn't turn my head to answer him.

"Not really, but I'm not leaving you to defend for yourself," I told him.

I know that he could defend himself. That's not the reason I didn't want to go. I didn't want to leave everything behind. My sister just randomly disappeared, as far as my grandma knows. I don't even know what she did to my grandma. Now I'm leaving. I left her there all alone. I know she's capable, but still.

"You know as well as I do that I can take care of myself," he said.

He reached out towards me and grabbed my face, trying to see what my expression is. I smacked his hand away. I didn't want to look at him right now.

"Don't," I told him.

"Okay," he said, putting his hands up to act all innocent like.

I felt bad for treating him badly. All he is trying to do is help me. That is all he ever tried to do. Maybe he messed up, but I'm the one who started this mess. I'm lead him on first. I can't blame him for something that I started. I turned my head to face him.

"Hey, I'm sorry," I told him.

He looked at me puzzled. Then he smiled at me and started singing to a Bob Marley Song,

"Don't worry, it will soon pass whatever it is,Don't worry, be happy,I'm not worried " he sang.

That's cute. I playfully punched him in the shoulder. He laughed and put his arm around my shoulders. I sat back, leaning into his arms. I watched the scenery go by, as I fell asleep.

I woke up with the wind blowing harshly at my face. I opened my eyes. At this point I was confused. I don't remember opening the window. I am in a car last time I checked. Either my window is opened or my door is open. None of this is making any sense.