Chapter 2- The Fire

Ch.2 

I put some pop tarts in the toaster, and started to do my laundry. The laundry room is upstairs. We have a small laundry room. The washer and dryer is small. They are apartment sized. The one is stacked on top of the other. The dryer is small, with a window on the front of it, with a black ring around the window. The washer is like the dryer, only it doesn't have a window. The door is on the front instead of the top.   

I put my clothes and soap in the wash machine. I started to hum along with the noisy machine. It's a habit. I do it every time. Most of the time, I don't even notice that I'm doing it. I hummed along with it until it started beeping.

That is weird. It doesn't beep until the clothes are done. It just started. There must be something wrong with it. If there was, it must be the timer.

I looked the machine over, and saw nothing wrong with it. Then I smelled smoke. Either some wires are burning, or my sister is burning something in the kitchen.

"Holy Cheeses Rice!" I heard my sister yell.

I made my way slowly down the stairs. My sister can be quite over dramatic. She likes to say that a lot. She probably just burned her hand slightly on the handle of the frying pan again. There is a part of the handle that isn't covered properly, making it as hot as the pan.

When I made it downstairs, I saw a big fire engulfing the pan.

"Put some powder on it!" I yelled at her calmly.

She wasn't listening. She was in panic mode right now. She wasn't hearing anything that I was saying. Her immediate reaction was go for water. That is a bad choice. She always cooks bacon in the morning, making it a grease fire. Water makes grease fires grow.

I ran at her. If she poured that water on the fire, then the house, along with her face, would go up in flames.

I got to her just in time. I tackled her to the floor. Or at least I thought I got to her in time. A small amount of the water managed to make it onto the pan. As we hit the floor, fire exploded above us.

"Hey!" she shouted at me.

"Enough. Get out of here!" I told her.

In that little of time, fire covered the kitchen. Thick black smoke filled the whole room. It was so thick that I couldn't breath. My eyes started to sting. I couldn't even see my sister, who was right beside me.

I poked her, to tell her where I was. She wasn't moving. The smoke must have already knocked her out. There is only one way out of here. I'm going to have to drag her out. We might not make it in time, but she's my only real family left. I have to save her.

The task of getting us both out of here alive seemed to prove itself difficult, but not impossible. I positioned myself beside my sister and grabbed her by the waist. I started wiggling, but nothing happened.  So I got on my hands and knees and grabbed my sister's arms. Slowly I made my way out.

The smoke increased little by little. My breathing become more ragged. My eyes refusing to stay open. My body was trying to tell me to give up, but that is not an option. If I give up, it's all over. We're done, and it would be all my fault.

When crawling became too difficult, I began doing the army crawl. On the ground, I pushed myself forward with my hands, knees and feet.

My knees endured this for a little while, until I had to stop. There was no point. I just realized that I didn't know which way the door was. For all I know, I could be going closer to the fire. The smoke is getting thicker.

With no other option left, I gave in. I closed my eyes and fell into unconsciousness.