Chapter 25

Kylie's POV

As I stepped off the plane, I had to cover my eyes. The sun was bright today, and was shining directly in my eyes. I started looking around as my eyes started to adjust. All I saw as I looked around was dirt. Dirt and sand. Sand and dirt. No sign of water for miles.

There is a small town around us, which is good. I was expecting an abandoned airport, with miles of sand around us. I didn't pack much water, so I was glad. I was not ready for a long walk with a limited water supply.

"From the look on your face, you were expecting the plane to crash?" James said, laughing.

"No," I said, as we started to walk away from the plane.

We headed into the airport. The airport wasn't very big. It was about half the size of average airports. There is water fountains and bathrooms at every corner. For a small airport, they have a lot of bathrooms.

I guess I shouldn't expect the airport to be as big as I had been assuming. The airport I had entered first was pretty big for airports. It was a little bigger than the one in Toronto. Which is ridiculous because no small town needs a huge airport in the middle of no where. 

"I know you'd save me if we went down," I said, nudging him in the side. 

He smiled, and shrugged. 

"So modest," I teased. 

"I just don't like to brag with cameras around," he hinted. 

I looked around at the surrounding cameras. They were everywhere. I bet with those cameras you could see every inch of the perimeter. That's not only what surprised me. There was a ton of people here. Everywhere I looked, there was people surrounding me.

"Oh," I said, a little bit too slow.

"Yeah," He replied.

"So where are we going, and how are we getting there?" I asked.

I was expecting him to tell me that we were going to a place with a lot of sand, and we're going to fly there. He doesn't like questions, especially when it involves his plans. When I make plans, he must know everything and anything about it. When he makes plans, he will tell me as little as possible. I keep telling him over and over that I hate surprises, and he just shrugs it off.

"We are going to a place with a lot of sand," he said, winking at me. " and we are getting there by flying."

"Okay smarta.." I started, but was cut off.

"We literally are flying there," he told me. "but first we have to walk."

I studied his expression, trying to find out if he was joking or not. There was not even a hint of a smile playing on his face. His eyes showed a hint of humour in them, but that doesn't mean much. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

"Do you have secret flying powers that I don't know about?" I asked him.

He started laughing at my question, and shook his head.

"We have to walk a little ways, then a helicopter is going to pick us up," he told me.

I'm not going to lie, I feel like a fool now. He could have had flying powers for all I knew. I mean, before I met him, all of that stuff was impossible.

I turned my head to him, and stuck my tongue out at him. He laughed and shook his head.

"Such a child," he said.

"Compared to the old man!" I yelled teasingly.

He patted my head, and kept walking.

"Old man," I muttered.

"You do know I can hear you right?" He reminded me.

----------------

10 minutes later

It feels like we were walking  for an eternity. My feet hurt, and my mouth is dry. I must have drank at least half the jug of water already.

"Are we there yet!"I exclaimed.

"As I said the last six times, NO!" He said, slightly annoyed.

"How about now!?" I asked.

"No,No, No, No, and I repeat NO!" He yelled, this time getting angry.

I started laughing. The look on his face was hilarious. His face was scrunched up in frustration.

"Don't laugh at me fool!" he said playfully.

I nudged him in the side.

"But your so cute when your frustrated," I said teasingly.

He tried to hide the smile, but failed miserably.

"But seriously, how much further?" I asked, this time serious.

I didn't get an answer for him for a minute. I was about to ask him again when he pointed into the air. I was not falling for this joke. I knew he was going to try to change the subject.

"As much as I love look over there to change the subject, you didn't answer me." I scolded.

He sighed and shook his head.  He went to grab my head with his two hands, but I ducked. He really wanted me to look at the nothing in the sky. I really wasn't that  gullible, despite what he thinks.

"No!" I said, refusing to look.

"So stubborn! Can you at least back up then?" He asked.

I couldn't fight it anymore, I had to look up. As I looked up I saw a helicopter flying above my head. How did I not see that? Or at least hear it?

"Oh" I said. I could feel my face heating up. I could tell that I was blushing.

"Yeah," He answered.

I still didn't back up, so he reached out and pulled me back. I didn't know if I could trust the person who is flying that airplane. If they were any good at it, I wouldn't have to move. They would have landed right beside me instead of almost on me.

I stepped back a little bit farther. I watched the helicopter land, as I took in it's features. It is all red, with thin black stripes going down the plane horizontally. I thought it looked really cool, mostly because I have never seen one this close. I have seen them on TV before if that counts.

I watched as it landed on the ground, and the back door opened. I couldn't see anything in the helicopter, which was weird because it was daylight out. The darkness in the helicopter scared me, nothing should be that dark.  It's just not natural!

"I-I think I'll just head back. This was a bad idea for me, you can continue on," I stuttered.

He took one look at the helicopter, and then at me as if he was debating something. His hands reached out and grabbed my shoulders as he looked me in the eye.

"It will be alright, just come with me," he said, trying to soothe me.

My fear suddenly went away. As I looked into his eyes, I knew that what he was saying was true. Everything really was going to be okay.

We started to walk towards, as he held my hand. We walked slowly. We entered the helicopter, and I noticed something weird. These people in the helicopter looked a lot like him. Does all of the people we are going to meet look like this?

"Who are these people?" I asked, a little bit bluntly.

"What, you don't recognize them?" he asked me as if I should know.

"No I..." I started, but stopped short. "Hey, I recognize you!"

I can't believe I didn't recognize them earlier!