•The Math is not Mathing•

"Why can't your Gamma help you ? Why do I have to do it ?" Lucas' cousin who's name I learnt was Quinn asked Lucas.

Lucas had explained how we found out I had superpowers and Quinn still had her hesitations about me, but jokes on her, she had to do what her Alpha wanted.

"You know Alec has extra training to do before he can take on the position of Gamma." Lucas said, answering his cousin's question.

"Why are you even helping her, shouldn't that be her mate's job ?" Quinn asked, putting emphasis on the mate part.

Lucas was about to to say something but I stopped him by raising my hand up. I was done with Quinn's unnecessary bitchy attitude.

"Look here Quinn, I'm not begging you to help me. Frankly this was your cousin's idea not mine. I don't know what I've done to make you hate me, considering this is the first time we've ever spoken but if it has anything to do with me being Xian's mate." I said, putting air quotes around the word mate.

"Then you can fuck yourself. If you hate me so much because of a connection I can't control and not because I've proven myself to be an inadequate person, then I don't think I want your help." I completed with my resting bitch face on.

After that, Quinn was pretty much silent through out our entire conversation.

Me I don't use to accept rubbish oo.

A flicker of last night's dream appeared in my mind and something told me I should mention it.

"Guys, I kinda had a weird dream last night." I spoke out.

Everyone's attention was on me and their eyes were completely focused on me as if urging me to go on.

"It was about a husband and wife I think. Well not really husband and wife, but anyways the dude was a king. I think their names were Ṣàngó and Ọya." I said, biting my lower lip.

"Did you say Ṣàngó !" I heard Lucas exclaim.

Everyone's attention went straight to Lucas and they looked at him like he had run mad.

"Jonah, remember that project we did in AP history, "The cultures of the Yoruba's ?"

A lightbulb suddenly went of in Jonah's head and a flicker of recognition went off in his eyes.

"Remember Ṣàngó? He was the god of fire and thunder in Yoruba mythology! I bet whatever Abi is going through has something to do with him."

"So wait, you mean Abiola could somehow be connected to an ancient West African deity?" Quinn asked with a cynical look in her eyes.

"I mean, it can't be a coincidence. Her powers and the dream that followed shortly after, it all has to be related somehow." Lucas said, replying Quinn.

"So let me get this straight. Y'all are saying I'm related to some Yoruba god?" I asked, my brain almost dissolving.

"Not just some god, probably the greatest one out there." Lucas said, more excited than anyone else.

This doesn't make any sense but to be honest, nothing has made sense since I moved from Nigeria.

Me, a goddess?

I heard the others talking about something but my brain was still trying to process everything that I just heard.

I mean the MATH IS NOT MATHING!

"Abby, do you remember anything happening to you before you nearly killed me." Lucas asked, almost sarcastically.

I tried to remember but nothing was coming to me.

Wait...

I remember feeling a burn when my hand held my necklace.

I brought out the oddly shaped, red and white stone that lay on my chest.

"Abiola come here." I heard my mother call out to me more softly than she normally would've.

I saw a beautiful marble-like stone with red and white swirls hanging on a thin gold chain.

"Your grandma gave this to me when I was about your age. She requested I do the same for you when you were older."

As a 13 year old, I was excited to have any jewelry at all, but there being family history behind the jewelry made it all the more special.

I had never met my grandma, she died way before I was born but having something she had has well made me feel like I had a constant part of her with me.

As soon as I put on the necklace I felt something powerful overcome me. I overlooked it then, but maybe I shouldn't have.

"I felt the palm of my hand burn when I touched my necklace." I said, raising the necklace for everyone to see.

"Can I hold it ?" Lucas asked with fervour in his eyes.

I unclipped the necklace and handed it over to him.

"Fuck!" He exclaimed, dropping the necklace and clutching his hand.

"Goddammit Abi, your necklace burnt me." Lucas groaned, showing me the already healing burn.

"Whoops." I said, causing laughs to erupt   from both Quinn and Jonah.

"That's what it did to me before I electrocuted you, except it didn't leave a mark." I said, facing Lucas.

"So what're we going to do now ? Jonah asked, breaking the silence my comment had created.

"I think we're going to need re-inforcements on this." Lucas said, looking like he had finally recovered from the burn.

"From who ?" Quinn butted in for the first time in a while.

"Lord Cyfrin." Lucas said, calling out a name that made everyone gasp.

"And how exactly do you plan on getting his help?" Quinn asked, her usual cynical look gone but now replaced with a look of shock.

"Xian Hunt." Lucas spat out with venom.

A/N
Say "Aunty I" if you're awake 😃🖐️.
This chapter was shorter than usual but it was packed with a lot. I hope y'all are enjoying the book as much as I'm enjoying writing it.

This book is really important to me because let's be honest, how many of us really know our traditional mythologies? It's not only Greek mythology that's out there oo, we Africans have a beautiful blend of mythologies and I think we should all know them, hence this book.

Who do you think Lord Cyfrin is 🤔 and what does Xian have to do with it? And why the hell does everyone seem to hate Xian????

Comment what country you're from and your favourite traditional mythology from your country!

            ~A very anxious author 💜