06| too cold

THE TREES shivered in the bitter wind, naked branches adorned with snow

     THE TREES shivered in the bitter wind, naked branches adorned with snow. Clusters of twigs, gnarled and twisted, extended like the very hands of Old Man Winter, ready to catch the soft falling flakes. It would be some time before the trees awaken, and when they do, it will be a slow stirring, gradually growing unnoticed buds until finally the delicate papery leaves and blooms within are ready.

Gus crouched silently beside me, slowly stalking through the snow, following in my footprints. He gave a quiet chuff, making me look over at the pheasant hopping through the snow. I noticed a rabbit a little further down, and drew an arrow from the quiver. Placing it on the string, I pulled it back, aiming for the small mammal.

With a quiet: "Okay,", Gus ran forward, pouncing on the pheasant as my arrow pierced through the rabbit. Gus wrestled around with the bird for a moment, before hopping back towards me through the snow, the animal in his mouth. He dropped it at my feet, then ran off to retrieve the rabbit.

I watched as Gus dropped the rabbit by the pheasant. I reached down and pulled the arrow out, cleaning the tip off before replacing it into my quiver. I walked over to the tree, pausing when Gus barked at me. I quirked a brow and looked over my shoulder.

Gus flopped over in the snow, ecstatic to be able to be outside again. He snuffed some of the snow before sneezing, darting up and running around me like a jackrabbit on crack. I shook my head, placing my bow down as I strung the animals onto some string on a tree.

Gus barked at me again, and when I turned around, his upper half was in the snow, his butt raised up in the air. I could see the puffs of air coming from him as he wagged his tail back and forth. I jerked forward a little bit, making me laugh as he darted up and ran at me. I messed around with him some, pushing him when he'd jump up on me, grabbing his snout and jumping around him.

I fell back in the snow as he jumped on me, licking my face enough for my mask to slip off. My face scrunched up as I felt his tongue swiping across my cheek, making me push him away. But no matter what I did, he just kept coming back.

I heaved a sigh as I finally shoved him off, wiping my face with my sleeves before replacing my mask over my face. Gus jumped up to follow me as I went to the tree to collect what we hunted today. We trekked back through the woods, and when we arrived back to the cabin, I was surprised to see Fushiguro in the kitchen, pouring hot water into two cups.

"You're back," He said, looking up as I opened the door.

"Didn't think I would?'

"No, you just usually stay out until dark," He said, placing the kettle down. "Are you cold?"

"I'll warm," I said. "Besides, there's not much game around. Not that we can keep very fresh, at least."

"You have an icebox," He said.

"No ice," I replied. "I'll have to go to the lake to get some. If I leave it outside to get cold, the animals will just get inside."

"Well, I'll go with you to get some," He said.

"When your leg heals," I said, taking my bowie knife out as I began to skin the animals. "Until then, I don't want you outside. It's too icy and slippery."

"I'll be fine," He muttered crouching down to place a bowl of warm water down for Gus to drink. "My leg is almost completely healed. I can walk fine. And besides, you said it yourself, living here isn't easy. I'll help you since you helped me."

"How kind," I replied, a little bit of sarcasm in my voice. "You want to make yourself helpful, throw some more logs into the fire."

"I'd said I'd help, not be your bitch," He said.

"You help, you're my bitch," I said, making him glare at me over his shoulder. I chuckled.

"Scout, there are only two logs left," Fushiguro said, making me look back.

"There's a pile to the left of the door outside. Put that coat on and run out and get them."

"Thought I couldn't go outside," He mocked.

"Keep it up and I'll leave you out there, Fushiguro."

"I'm trembling with fear."

"Sarcastic bastard," I muttered under my breath, watching him walk out of the cabin. A few moments later, I heard a loud curse and clattering of wood. I walked outside, folding my arms over my chest.

Fushiguro glared up at me, blowing some hair from his face. "Shut up, Scout."

"Busted your ass, did you?" I asked, grinning under my mask. I extended my arm down to him, reaching to pull him back onto his feet.

However, neither of us noticed Gus, who was still wired, bolting towards us. He darted between Fushiguro's legs, making him lose his balance, which in turn made me lose mine. I tried to catch myself, but we both slipped on the ice, gasping when we tumbled down the small hill. In the middle of the tumble, Fushiguro had grabbed me, making me fall on top of him.

I felt my eyes widen for a moment, realizing what he had done. I could feel his warm hands on my waist, probably from where my shirt moved up a little. The boy shifted under me, making me freeze.

"Sorry," He said. "You're not wearing a coat, so I didn't want you to fall in the snow."

Before I could reply (if I could), Gus had run after us, jumping on me and making me end up in the snow. Both Fushiguro and I yelled at him, the black-haired boy shooing him away before pulling me out of the snow.

"You busted your ass too," He chuckled as I swiped some snow from my hat.

"Shuddup," I huffed. "Get the damn wood and get inside. Too cold for this shit,"

Fushiguro watched as I trekked up the hill, kicking my boots on the doorframe to shake the snow off before entering. I watched through the window as he collected some of the wood, then carried it inside. Gus followed after him, finally settling near the fire.

The boy looked at the dog, then to his bed near mine. After a moment, he drug it over closer to the fire, making Gus move into it. Fushiguro sat beside him, reaching over to pet the top of his head. Gus flopped over, making him smile softly before rubbing his stomach.

"Here," I said, handing him a cup of hot tea before placing some food over the fire, settling on the floor near him.

"Sorry for being such a dick to you," He said, looking down at his cup. "You're not so bad, Scout."

I looked at him for a moment, before turning to the fire. I watched the amber-colored flames break down the wood he'd just thrown in, poking it with a stick to help it. I exhaled.

"You're not bad either, Fushiguro."

· · ──────·本·──────· ·

Scout's swear counter: 18