11| just watch

warning: graphic image

warnings: slight gore/imagery

         THE SUN POKED through the top of the trees, shining down on the snow living the forest floor. It was almost blinding; the rays had reflected off the pure white snow, brightening everything around us. Though, it didn't bother me much. I was used to it. Fushiguro, on the other hand, was not very happy about it.

Below the tree branch I'd sat on, I could hear the male cursing under his breath. I watched the arrow whizz past the target, the orange fabric poking out in the white snow. Fushiguro lowered the bow and trudged forward to collect the arrow. The sun was in his eyes, I'd heard him complain.

"Squint," I said once he'd returned under the tree.

"Then I can't see," He grumbled, his voice muffled from the mask on his face.

"If you're that blind, you're better off with a bowie knife," I replied, tucking my chin into my jacket collar.

"If you think it's so easy," He said. "You get down here and do it,"

"I think we both know I'd just make a fool out of you," I said, snuggling against the trunk of the tree as I closed my eyes. "You're the one who wanted to come out here and try it."

"I didn't think the sun would be a bastard," He huffed out.

"Angle your head down, crouch down, aim, and then shoot," I sighed, content in the tree I sat in. "You'll get the hang of it eventually."

"This is useless, Scout," He said, making me crack an eye open. He looked up at me, viridian eyes lighter, yet squinted, as the sun shone in them.

"It's not useless," I said. "You're just not trying hard enough."

"How?" He snapped. Sighing, I turned, slipping from the tree branch and onto the ground beside him, the snow cushioning my legs.

"You're used to using techniques and your hands rather than weapons," I said, taking the bow from his hands. "Think of the weapon as an extension of yourself."

"Like with a sword?"

Boone tilted his hand. "Sort of," He said, crouching beside me. "Here, raise it up to your eyes, there you go."

"Now what?" I asked.

Boone ran his finger over the long part. "This is the shaft," He explained. "Think of it as an extension of your eyes. You see that target over there?"

I squinted to see the faint red spot. "Yeah."

"Aim the tip there. Then, let go."

I did as he told me. And I missed it.

"Aw, Boone!" I cried, turning to look at him. "I missed it!"

"You still hit the target," He said, pointing to the spot where it stuck out. "You're not always gonna hit it on the mark."