08| run away

I WATCHED the sun rise through the window, the golden rim breaking through the dark blue sky

      I WATCHED the sun rise through the window, the golden rim breaking through the dark blue sky. Yellow petals stretched out, swirls of pink, orange, and blue mixing it to coat the sky like some sort of painting. An invitation to a new day, a day in which would be of work.

Getting to my feet, I looked over where Fushiguro still slept peacefully. I dressed while he was still in his slumber, picking my mask up from the bed. I walked to the table, my boots thudding on the wooden floors as I picked up his mask, testing to see if the paint had dried overnight. It had, the white surface smooth under my fingers.

After attaching a string to it, I knelt near the bed, pulling out a box. Dumping the contents onto the bed, I rummaged around to find some of Jett's old clothes. They looked to be the same size as Fushiguro, so they should be able to fit him.

"Here," I called, a little loud to wake him up. He peeled his eyes open, sitting up just as I tossed a jacket at him. It smacked against his face, making me hold back a laugh and quickly turn away.

"What's this?" He asked, his voice grainy and darker from waking up so suddenly.

"A jacket, genius. You want to help me? Get dressed," I said, shrugging my own jacket on. "We've got work to do."

"The sun's not even all the way up," He muttered.

"Get used to it," I said. "We work early around here."

He huffed, reluctantly getting up before beginning to get dressed. As he did, I began to gather everything we needed. Hanging my bow on my back, I tossed the bags to Fushiguro, which this time, he caught.

"What're these for?" He asked, placing them over his shoulders.

"The storm last night is just going to continue again tonight. From what I know, we're supposed to get a bad storm soon. Which means we're more than likely going to be stuck in the cabin," I replied, hooking the quiver to my hip. I held an arrow up, twisting the tip on the pad of my finger, testing the sharpness. "Which means we're going to have to stock up. I can cut wood around here, but we need to go to the lake to get ice. I'll hunt while we're down there to get enough game. There are a few plants down there that I'll get as well."

"So we're foraging," He said, following me to the door.

"Basically," I said. "Put your mask on."

Fushiguro turned, grabbing the white mask from the table. He pulled the string around his head before adjusting it. After he got it situated, I grabbed the door, jerking it open. The ice cracked on the other side, snapping and breaking off with the final jerk. I made sure there were no icicles above us before calling for Gus, letting him go before us.

"Do you know your way around here, even with all the snow?" Fushiguro asked, his voice darkened by the mask.

"I should," I replied. "Been here practically my entire life."

"How'd you end up here?" He asked, the sound of our footsteps breaking through the ice-covered snow filling the air.

"I ran away."

"From home?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I dunno," I sighed. "I don't like the hustle-bustle of the city or all the chaos from the people. I prefer everything to be quiet, peaceful, tranquil."

"So you ran away to the mountains?" He asked.

"Yeah. It was hard at first, but I wasn't alone. Boone was there," I said.

"Boone?"

"Never knew his real name, if he even had one, to begin with," I said, watching Gus jump through the snow. "He just showed up one day, picked me up out of the river, and brought me to that old cabin. Jett was there too. He's just a few years older than I am."

"You just let him take you? No questions asked?"

"I was like five. But, Boone wasn't a mean guy. He looked mean, but he was the sweetest man you'd ever meet. He raised Jett and me as if he'd been our real father the whole time. He taught us how to survive out here, what was dangerous and what wasn't, how to outrun a cougar, how to trick a wolf, all the sorts,"

"That's how you know everything?" He asked. "Because of Boone?"

"Yeah. He was there until I turned fourteen. Then...I never saw him again."

Fushiguro turned his head to look at me, the blank white mask blending in with the color of the snow, contrasting against his dark hair. "What do you mean?"

"Jett ran out, and Boone went to chase him," I said, lifting myself over a log with an overhead branch. "Never saw either of them ever again. It happened the day I turned fourteen, and I'll be turning sixteen soon."

"Do you know the dates?" He asked.

"I'm not that far behind in the times, Fushiguro. Today's date is December 7th, 2017," I said, looking up. "And it's a little past 7 AM."

"You can tell that by looking at the sky?"

"The sun, actually," I corrected. "You can tell the time by the position in the sky. It's not hard. And I suppose I'll have to teach that to you too."

Fushiguro chuckled. I walked a little ahead of him, running my fingers along the trees. When I found the one with the cross cut into it, I turned. Fushiguro followed me.

"So you said you're a sorcerer," I said, falling back into step with him. "What's your technique?"

"Ten Shadows," He replied, almost robotically, before looking at me. "You know about that too?"

"Like I said, Fushiguro," I chuckled. "I'm not that far behind in the times. If I know what curses are, and know that not everyone can see them, plus I know what sorcerers are, I don't think me knowing about techniques should be very surprising."

He shrugged.

"You'd be surprised.

· · ──────·本·──────· ·

Fact: Boone is the only father Scout and Jett have ever known