21| who are you?

JETT held the reins of his stallion in his right hand, and in his other, he held a gun

       JETT held the reins of his stallion in his right hand, and in his other, he held a gun. He looked around vigilantly, scanning our surroundings. I rested on the top of his horse, holding onto the nose of the saddle. He glanced back at me and grinned slightly. I returned it with a glare.

He sighed. "C'mon, Scout. I told you I'd come back didn't I?"

I didn't respond. Instead, I just slid off the top of the horse and took the reins from him. He sighed again but allowed me to lead. After we both decided that it was safe for the moment, we returned to Taro's cabin.

As we came over the hill, I saw Gus outside. He was pacing back and forth, whimpering and barking. I whistled at him, making him spin around in a circle. He tapped his feet on the ground before running to me, falling to the ground at my feet. He rolled onto his back, whining as I leaned down to pet him.

"Hey, boy!" Jett called, patting his leg. "Hi, Gus!"

When Gus recognized his scent, I could say hell broke loose. The next thing I knew, Gus was knocking me back. I hit the ground with a thud, bracing my fall with my hands. Gus jumped over my legs, positioning himself over me. His lips curled back in a snarl and he began to bark threateningly. He growled and lunged forward, but returned to standing over me.

"Gus!" Megumi yelled from the door. "Gus, what the hell are you going on about?"

I heard his footsteps coming down the hill. I looked over and watched as Megumi grab the trunk of a small tree to keep himself from slipping down the hill. When he found me, his eyebrows furrowed together softly. Then he followed where Gus was growling and his eyes went wide.

"Who—"

Before Jett could even finish his sentence, Megumi was grabbing me by my arm. He pulled me onto my feet, only to shove me behind him as he pulled a pocket knife out of his pocket. Shadows swirled at his feet before his technique formed, and his Divine Dogs appeared on either side of Gus.

"Get in the cabin, Scout," Megumi said softly.

"Get the fuck away from them!" Jett yelled, only to jump and take a step back when Megumi's Divine dog nipped at his feet. "Scout, who the fuck is this?"

Megumi reached back and touched my arm to make sure I was still there. He began to gently push me back, trying to urge me to go back. Gus backed between my legs, stepping back as I did.

"Both of you, stop," I said, walking around Megumi. "Megs, it's fine."

He wasn't sure how to react to the nickname, but his lips curled into a small frown. "Who is this, Scout?"

"Yeah, Scout," Jett said a little snappily. "Who the hell is this guy?"

"The person who's been helping since you decided to dip out and leave me to fend for my goddamn self," I snapped back at the blonde.