8: Charm Bracelet

Chapter 8

The first thing I heard when I woke up was sobbing. I instantly shot up and glanced at Rocky’s bed, knowing she was the one sobbing. I was right; she sat curled on her bed, crying into her hands. I jumped up and ran over to her, “What’s wrong?”

She looked up, surprised, her face stained with tears. “Oh sorry, did I wake you up?”

“It’s fine; why are you crying?” I asked, worrying about her. I looked over at my alarm clock and saw it was only six in the morning.

She sniffled, “There was another attack and it was really big. They killed at least fifteen Supernaturals at a Halloween party.”

“Oh my god, that’s awful,” I gasped, wondering how someone (or multiple people) could be so violent. “Did you know any of them?”

Rocky shook her head. “No, but I heard there were some teens that were killed and it made me think of my sister. She was killed in an attack, simply because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

“I’m so sorry,” I breathed, sitting on the bed and hugging her because I didn’t know what else to do. I couldn’t imagine Alison being killed. She wasn’t the best sister ever, but I don’t know what I would do without her.

She fingered the bracelet on her wrist. “This is all I have left of her- she gave it to me a week before she was murdered.”

“It’s beautiful,” I told her, reaching over to admire it. My fingers brushed the metal and a shadowy figure suddenly appeared. I yanked my hand back and she was gone. “Rocky… What did she look like?”

She smiled softly, “Emily was beautiful. She had long, straight, black hair and tanned skin. And her eyes were this amazing mix of green and brown… I miss her so much.” That sounded exactly like I thought it might.

“I think I might have just seen her,” I whispered, trying to find a good way to explain without driving her into complete hysterics.

Rocky rubbed her eyes with her hands, wiping away some of the tears. “What are you talking about, Gina?”

“I touched your bracelet and I saw someone that sounded exactly like your description,” I admitted, feeling a little scared.

She laughed, not sounding exactly happy. “I don’t understand.”

“Let me see your bracelet.” There was only one way to find out for sure if I was seeing what I thought I was.

She cowered away from me. “Gina, you’re kind of freaking me out right now.”

“Please just let me touch it,” I pleaded. She looked unsure, but she held out her wrist to me. I gulped back my fears and reached out a shaking hand to feel the smoothness of the charm bracelet. As I expected, the girl appeared again and this time I was certain- she had to be Emily. “How are you here?” I asked her shakily.

She smiled sadly at me. “You can see me?”

“Yes, I can see you… How is this possible? Rocky says you’re dead,” I spoke with a weird steadiness that contradicted how I was feeling.

She laughed, “That’s because I am. I’m a ghost and you are a necromancer. I don’t completely understand how though; you’re not sixteen yet. You shouldn’t be able to see me. I thought I was going to have to find someone else to talk through or wait for a whole year.”

I turned my attention from Emily to her sister, putting all my questions to the back of my mind; at least temporarily. “Okay, don’t freak out, but Emily is here and she’s talking to me. She thinks I’m some sort of… necromancer.”