Epilogue

“Where are we going?” I asked Rocky, giving her an annoyed look as she turned the truck randomly. We had just finished shopping and our bags littered the back of her car.

She smiled mischievously. “You’ll see…”

“Whatever, but I have to get back soon. I promised Vincent I would be back by three,” I replied, glancing at the clock on the dashboard. It said the time was 2:27. I had barely over a half an hour to get back.

Rocky waved me off, keeping her gaze on the road. “Don’t worry; he won’t mind if you’re a little late, trust me. Now put on the blindfold.”

“You want me to wear a blindfold?” I repeated, wondering if she had lost her mind. But she just nodded and pointed to the piece of cloth sitting between us. I shook my head at her weirdness, but picked it up anyways. I tied it behind my head so that I couldn’t see anything.

I felt the car turn left and Rocky asked, “Can you see anything?”

“No,” I answered bitterly, itching to take off the blindfold. I hated surprises, especially ones that included taking away my vision. This better be good…

She made a noise of contentment. “Good.”

“How is that good?” I retorted dryly. I happened to get moody when one of my senses was taken away- can you blame me? I relied on my sight more than anything.

Rocky sighed in exasperation, as if she were the one being forced to wear the blindfold. “You’ll see, now don’t be such a downer.” I pursed my lips and focused on my hands, running my thumb over the wedding band lying on my left ring finger. As I did, my thoughts went back to the day of my wedding, remembering how beautiful it was.

“Alright, we’re here,” Rocky said. I reached to take off the blindfold, but she slapped my hand away. “What are you doing?”

I frowned in confusion. “You said we were here…”

“I didn’t say you could take off your blindfold!” I heard my door being opened. On instinct, I leaned towards Rocky, wishing I could see.

But it was Vincent’s voice that greeted me. “Hey, relax; it’s just me. Give me your hand and I’ll help you out of the car so you don’t fall.” His voice was gentle, but determined.

“So you’re in on this too?” I asked bitterly. He laughed and took my hand with one of his, using the other to undo my seatbelt and then help me out of the car.

As he did, he replied, “Of course, I was the one that planned all of this.”

“I hate you.”

He squeezed my hand. “I love you too darling.”

“Can I take off this blindfold now?” I asked, not bothering to reply to his statement. I had spent the afternoon being dragged from shop to shop and I was tired. I just wanted to go back to my cozy, little apartment and relax.

He let go of my hand and I felt his fingers on my head. “I’ll do it,” he said right before I felt him pulling off the cloth that had been covering my eyes. As I got back my eyesight, my gaze focused on Vincent. He was standing right in front of me, blocking my view of whatever was behind him. There was a nervous look to his face that instantly spiked my worry.

“What’s wrong?” I brought my hand to his cheek, stroking my thumb along it. He smiled and took the hand on his face in his, interlacing our fingers.

He shook his head and replied, “Nothing is wrong.” I started to say something, but his mouth met mine, making me forget what I’d been about to say. When he pulled back, I frowned at him. He laughed softly and stepped out of my line of sight. My eyes fell on a simple, but pretty house.