9: Fire Wizard

Chapter 9

“What?” Connor asked as he was the first one of us to regain the ability to speak. We were all still trying to process what Vincent had told us.

The guy in question sighed and repeated, “I can control my ability. I know it’s surprising, but you’re acting like I just told you I have a contagious and life threatening disease.”

“Show us,” Rocky demanded; her voice was steady. I don’t know how she managed to sound calm and collected; I was still numb with shock. It was one thing for us to get glimpses of the abilities, but it was a completely different thing for him to be able to control it.

He hesitated, “I don’t know if that’s a very good idea…”

“What’s your power?” Connor pitched in, asking what we were all wondering.

Vincent bit his lip, which made him look really attractive by the way, and told us, “I can set stuff on fire. I’m what you would call a fire wizard.”

“You’re a fire wizard?” I exclaimed, finally finding my voice. That was so much cooler than Alison’s ability to grow a pretty garden.

He nodded, looking at the floor, “But sometimes it can go wrong. I can start and stop fires whenever I want and usually I can control the size of them... But if I lose focus than it could be very bad.”

“Wow,” I breathed. And then I shook myself out of my awe enough to ask, “How long until you turn sixteen?”

Vincent thought for a minute, “My birthday is on December seventh, so in about a month. I’ve been using my ability since I turned eleven.”

“That’s not normal,” Connor stated. “Did you tell anyone?”

He shook his head. He looked distressed under all of the questions. “No, I would’ve, but it was when my parents had just separated. I didn’t want to seem like I was saying it to get attention. By the time things started getting better, I had enough sense to keep it a secret.”

“And you’re not lying to us?” Rocky questioned.

He looked hurt at her question and I felt bad that we were all questioning him so intently. “No, what motive would I have behind lying to you?”

“Well, I guess we’ve discovered we’re not even normal in the Supernatural world,” Connor muttered. Then he turned to me, “Do you think you can control your gift if we were to let you hold something of the ghost’s?”

Vincent intervened before I could reply, “Are you kidding? It knocked her out last night; do you want that to happen again?”

“We need to see how this works,” Connor argued back.

Rocky groaned and interrupted them, “I think Gina is old enough to make up her own mind.” She looked over at me and I nodded, giving her a grateful smile.

“Thank you,” I told her as Vincent and Connor stopped quarrelling.

Vincent sat next to me and took my hand in his, sending little sparks of warmth through me, “You don’t have to do anything that’s going to hurt you.”

“No, I want to,” I said. I had already decided. “I will try again, just not right now. I’m starving,” I complained, fingering my plate that was covered in pasta. Connor had even remembered to buy me my favorite type of cookie.

My words ended the discussion of weird Supernatural abilities and we all focused on eating. The only negative part of that was that Vincent had to take his hand out of mine so we could eat…