14: Back To School

Chapter 15

Four days later, we all said our goodbyes and flew back to California. Skylar had been staying at our house since her family died and she was traveling with us back to Linley. She was a lot nicer and quieter than when I first met her. Something about her seemed so broken it made you feel sorry for her even if you didn’t know what had happened to her.

The second I entered my dorm room, I was surrounded. Vincent, Connor and Rocky were there, waiting for me to arrive. They all jumped off the bed when I entered and Connor crossed his arms in a defensive position. “Why didn’t you text any of us back?” Great, I’d been back for two minutes and they were already mad at me.

“Sorry, I was really busy. I was about to text you back, but then we drove over to pick up Skylar and after that, everything was really chaotic.”

He frowned and snapped at me, “Excuses, excuses; you should have texted back to at least tell us you were alive. Do you know how scared we all were?” Tears welled in my eyes and I looked at the floor, trying to keep them at bay. I hated being reprimanded, I should’ve just texted him back.

“Connor, relax,” Rocky exclaimed, nudging his side with her elbow.

  I smiled a little at her sticking up for me. Then I spoke to all three of them, “I’m really sorry. I just wanted to try to forget about all of it for a few days. Learning that vampires want to eliminate our whole species is a bit overwhelming.” No one knew how to respond to that, so I turned and started unpacking.

“Now, I feel like a jerk,” Connor sighed after a few minutes of complete silence.

I shook my head as I faced him, “Don’t, you we’re just worried- I get it.”

“Thanks.” He looked relieved that I wasn’t mad at him.

Vincent suddenly cut in, “Gina, can I talk to you for a minute… Alone?” I nodded and followed him into the deserted hallway. Was he going to lecture me too? However, instead of lecturing me, he pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back, loving how it made me feel all tingly. When he pulled away, it was only enough so that he could look into my eyes. “Are you really okay? Other than being scared… you’re not hurt, are you?”  

“No, I’m fine,” I assured him.

A small smile tugged at the edge of his lips. “Good, you have no idea how worried I was when I heard about how close it was to your house. And it got me thinking…” He paused to take my hands in his. “I don’t want to lose you. And, I don’t want to be just friends either… Gina, will you go out with me?”

My heart beat out an unsteady rhythm as I wondered if I was dreaming. Vincent had my hands in his, so pinching myself to check wasn’t an option. Oh well, even if it were a dream, I had no reason to say no. So I smiled and replied, “I thought you would never ask.”

He grinned back at me and slowly leaned down. Oh my god; he was going to kiss me! Just as that thought went through my mind, my dorm room door opened and Vincent jumped away from me. Connor and Rocky stood there, smiling smugly. Rocky looked between us, “What are you talking about?”

“I asked Gina on a date,” Vincent told them, holding up our entwined hands as proof.

Connor nodded pitifully, “And let me guess. She said no and you were begging her to say yes which is why you grabbed her hand?” His tone was playful as he teased us in the way that best friends do.

“Why on earth would I say no?” I would have to be mentally disabled to turn down the chance at a date with Vincent.

Rocky laughed, “I would love to stay and chat, but we have to finish unpacking…”