one

September 1st, 1978

"You better not get into too much trouble without me."

I stifled a laugh looking at my older sister, "I would never, I'm Head Girl, remember?"

Marlene rolled her eyes at me, grabbing me by the shoulders.

"I'm serious, keep to yourself this year, I don't want any of those snakes messing with my little sister."

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Don't worry about me," I replied, "I can fend for myself, I learned from the best."

Marlene grinned, "You sure as hell did."

The platform was getting crowded as more families showed up to send their kids off to Hogwarts. Some of the younger students were trying to get away from their parents, who were trying to cling onto their children.

"You know mum and dad would be here if they weren't working."

I nodded, "I know, I'll write to them later tonight."

"Alright, well we better get you on that train," Marlene teased, "I can't believe my baby sister is going into her final year at Hogwarts!"

"I'm only a year younger than you, dumbass," I responded, trying not to smile. "You better get going, Dorcas is probably waiting for you."

My sister blushed slightly.

"You better write to me if anyone gives you trouble, I'll pummel them with bludgers."

I smirked, "I'm sure you will."

Marlene wrapped her arms tightly around me, pulling me into a bone crushing hug. I hugged her back despite barely being able to move my arms.

The train whistle sounded, signaling the upcoming departure.

I pulled away from the hug and gave Marlene a kiss on the cheek.

"I'll see you at soon" I said.

Marlene blew me a kiss as I started to walk backwards, "See you soon, Meredith!"

I grabbed my trunk and boarded the train, searching for my friends, who happened to be in our usual compartment.

Maggie and Emmeline both smiled when they saw me.

"Mer, we thought you were gonna miss the train," Emmeline teased.

I grinned, "Marlene kept me."

"Come in, sit down," Maggie said, gesturing to the empty seat next to her.

I frowned, "I wish I could, but I can't."

"Why not?" They both asked.

"I have to go to the Prefects carriage, give instructions, you know, Head Girl stuff," I joked.

Emmeline clapped, "You're Head Girl?"

I nodded.

"Wait-, so happy for you," Maggie started, "But who's Head Boy?"

I shook my head, "No idea, I hope it's someone nice."

The train whistled once more and started lurching forward.

"I have to go now, but I'll see you both at dinner," I groaned.

Both girls said goodbye to me and I left, venturing to the back of the train.

The Prefects carriage was open, with benches and tables everywhere, instead of separate compartments.

It seemed as if all of the Prefects were already there, talking amongst each other in their respective groups.