fourteen

Regulus Black

She looked ethereal. Her blonde hair was spread out on her pillow, like a halo around her head. I smiled to myself, it's actually quite fitting. Although, I will never say those words out loud, ever.

Last night's makeup is still on her face, her eyelids covered in purple glitter.

This is the most peaceful she's ever looked, at least around me.

Whenever she's with me, her face is scrunched up in a look of annoyance, sometimes anger. She looks hot when she's angry, which makes it even more fun to press her buttons.

I glance down at my left forearm, remembering that I am the exact opposite of the angel sleeping beside me.

Fucking hell.

It was still dark outside, but the clock on her nightstand told me that it was time to make my exit.

I glanced back at Meredith. She was still fast asleep, blankets pulled tight around her body. I will admit, she's a blanket hog.

I brushed her hair out of her face. "God, you have no idea what you're doing to me," I whispered.

She didn't stir as I got out of bed and put my shoes and jacket on.

I quietly opened her bedroom door and closed it behind me, tiptoeing down the stairs. As quietly as humanly possible, I opened her front door and closed it behind me.

Looking around the empty neighborhood, I pulled out my wand and apparated home.

- - - - -

Meredith

When I woke up the next morning he was gone. My bed was cold where he had slept, and there were no traces of him except for his cologne on the pillow.

My head was throbbing, but I wasn't as hungover as I should be all thanks to me throwing up in my neighbors rose bush.

I looked at my clock and saw that I had two hours to get ready and pack before I had to go to King's Cross Station. The early morning light was peering in through my curtains, softly illuminating my bedroom.

Sighing, I laid back in bed, looking at the empty spot next to me.

That's the nicest he's ever been to me.

I got out of bed and walked down the hall to the bathroom. I took off last night's makeup, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and threw my hair into a ponytail before heading downstairs to get breakfast and coffee.

When I entered the kitchen, Dorcas and Marlene were seated around the breakfast table, the latter looking violently hungover.

"Good morning," Dorcas chimed.

"Uh, good morning," I replied. "How was your night?"

Marlene set her mug down, "It was great, loads of fun, but now I feel like death."

"Sounds reasonable," I said.

"Yeah I guess so," Marlene agreed. "How was your night?"

I poured myself a cup of coffee, not meeting their eyes. "Uh, yeah it was good. I had a migraine so that's why I left early."

"That's a bummer," Dorcas frowned.

I shrugged, taking a large sip of coffee.

"Mum and dad are at work, so we'll take you to the train," Marlene announced, pulling her knees up to her chest.

I nodded, "Okay, I'll make breakfast."

With the flick of my wand, pancake batter was made up and started to cook on the stove. I did the same to make scrambled eggs. I don't have the energy to actually cook.

"So, who was here last night?" Marlene questioned.

I froze in my spot, my mind racing.

"No one was here," I lied.

Marlene raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Yeah, really."

Marlene stifled a laugh, looking at me.

"That's funny, because when we got home I went to check on you to make sure that you got home safely," Marlene started.

Shit, shit, shit.

"And there was a boy in your bed."

I shrugged, "Weird, I don't know how that got there."

"Couldn't see who it was though, you were both cuddled so closely."

My cheek turned red. "No we weren't!" I exclaimed, "We aren't even friends."

Dorcas took a sip of her tea, trying not to laugh.

Marlene held her hands up in surrender. "Okay," She laughed, "Was just curious."

I looked back at the stove to see that the pancakes and eggs were done cooking, placed neatly on three plates.

I brought Marlene and Dorcas their breakfast before sitting down with my own.

"Thank you, Meredith," Dorcas chimed.

I aggressively cut into my pancake. "We were not cuddling," I stated.

Marlene stifled a laugh, taking a bite of pancake.

- - - - -

When we arrived at the platform, it was filled with returning students and their parents. I didn;t see any of my friends, so I assumed that they were already on the train.

However, I'd have to wait to catch up with them until dinner since we have a Prefects meeting. Which brings me to the question of how to act around Regulus.

I hugged Marlene tightly, "I'll see you soon."

"See you soon," She replied. "Don't get pregnant."

I pulled away from the hug to roll my eyes at her.

Dorcas hugged me next, promising to see me soon in Hogsmeade with Marlene.

As I hugged Dorcas, I made eye contact with someone across the platform.

Regulus was standing up straight as his mother talked to him. She had a stern look on her face, but from the things I've heard about Walburga Black, she always has that look on her face. Regulus caught my gaze as his mother spoke, only pulling his eyes away when Dorcas pulled away from our hug.

"Alright, kick some arse, Mer," Marlene said, grinning at me.

I waved goodbye as I stepped onto the train, carrying my trunk.

Walking the length of the train, I passed loads of people and their friends before I reached the last train car. The Prefects car.

I slid open the door and stepped inside, securing my trunk in an overhead compartment.

Thomas spotted me first and waved me over to the empty seat beside him.

"Hey, Meredith, how was your holiday?" He asked, grinning.

I smiled, "It was really good, I'm still a bit hungover from last night though."

"Ah, you go to a party?"

"Nope," I shook my head, "Clubbing."

"Even worse. Last time I went clubbing I ended up in Wales," Thomas admitted.

I laughed at this.

The car door slid open and Regulus stepped inside, putting his trunk away before looking around.

Pandora was sitting alone, reading a magazine. I watched as Regulus sat next to her, smiling. She smiled at him, starting to ask him questions about his holiday.

I started to eavesdrop.

"You look healthy, Reg," Pandora said, "Your aura is very good today."

Regulus smiled, "Really? Well, I did sleep well."

I smiled to myself, turning to Thomas.

"So, how was your holiday?"