twenty three

After pushing my way out of the crowd, I ran all the way back to the castle. I only started to slow down when I neared the Hospital Wing.

Madam Pomfrey was going through a shelf full of potions, reading the labels on each one.

"Where is he? Is he okay?" I asked, trying to catch my breath.

"If you're talking about Mister Black, he's still asleep," Madam Pomfrey replied, paying no mind to my state of panic.

I went past her, towards the only bed that had the curtains drawn around it.

"Miss McKinnon, he is still sleeping."

The moment between his collision with the bludger and his fall to the ground seemed to pass so slowly. My heart was racing as I watched his body hit the ground.

"Please-, I just want to make sure that he's okay!" I begged.

I know I probably sounded crazy, but I needed to see him.

All of the anger I felt towards him flew out the window the second that he hit the grass of the quidditch pitch. I wanted to hold a grudge with him, I really did, but in a moment of pure panic all I could think was that I forgive him and I miss him.

Madam Pomfrey frowned at me, "Miss McKinnon, I'm afraid that I can't let you see him until he's awake."

I was about to argue back when the sound of sheets shifting and a groan of pain came from behind the closed curtains.

Brushing past Madam Pomfrey, I ripped open the curtain surrounding his bed.

Laying against the white sheets was Regulus Black. His dark curls were a mess as he tried to sit up. His right arm was in a sling, and he had a bruise blooming across his cheek.

He looked beautiful.

My eyes softened when I saw him, finally knowing that he was okay. I felt like I could actually breathe again.

When he was on the ground, unmoving, I thought he was dead. He was brought away on a stretcher before anyone could give a thumbs up that he was okay, so I assumed the worst.

Madam Pomfrey pushed by me, rushing over to his bedside.

Regulus's eyes meet mine, and a small smile comes across his face.

"You took quite the tumble there, Mister Black. How are you feeling?" Madam Pomfrey asked, grabbing a potion off of his bedside table.

"Sore," Regulus said. "My shoulder hurts."

"Drink this," Madam Pomfrey ordered, pushing the potion into his good hand. "You have a dislocated shoulder and a mild concussion."

After a fall from that height, he only had a mild concussion. I thought for sure he split his head open. Yet again, I was in a state of panic.

Madam Pomfrey sighed, "The potion should kick in soon, I'll leave you two."

The older woman left, closing the curtain behind her.

I rushed over to his bed, carefully sitting on the edge so that I didn't hurt his arm.

"God-, I thought that you died!" I said. "You fell so fast, Reg."

Despite all of the pain he was in, Regulus smiled at me.

That goddamn smile.

Regulus exhaled, "I'm okay, I promise."

"You fucking scared me," I admitted, staring into his eyes.

"I'm okay, truly," Regulus said, making me relax slightly.