eight

November 10th, 1978

It's the Friday before our first quidditch match of the season, and I could not be any more anxious. Marlene, James, and Sirius are coming to cheer me on, and my parents wrote to wish me the best of luck since they can't be there because of work.

The day was already dragging on, so I was not pleased when I got to Potions.

Emmeline and I sat in our usual seats, right behind Black and Rosier.

They were talking quietly amongst themselves, going silent once Professor Slughorn entered the classroom.

His hands were clasped behind his back and he was smiling as he stood at the front of the classroom.

"The next, and the most difficult, potion that we will be brewing is Wolfsbane," Slughorn announced. "Can anyone tell me what its purpose is?"

Regulus raised his hand.

Typical.

"Yes, Mister Black?"

Regulus cleared his throat, "Uh werewolves take it because it helps ease the symptoms of lycanthropy. It allows one to hold on to their mental faculties after transformation."

"Correct, five points to Slytherin."

Slughorn continued on, "It is a very difficult and dangerous potion to make. It also takes a full lunar cycle to brew, which is why we will be starting to actually brew it next week because of the full moon. Because it can be dangerous to brew, you'll be working in pairs that I assign."

The class let out a collective groan of complaint, myself included.

It always sucks when professors decide that it's a good idea for them to assign partners. I would bet my firstborn that there's going to be at least one fist fight or screaming match within the next month because of it.

"Avery and Williams... Bulstrode and Jones..." Slughorn began announcing, reading from a piece of parchment. He rambled off a few more names. "Vance and Rosier..."

Evan turned around in his seat, winking at Emmeline.

"Black and McKinnon..."

Are you fucking kidding me?

Regulus turned around, shooting me an annoyed look, probably matching the one that I was currently wearing.

Professor Slughorn finished reading off the names, and everyone got up, switching seats.

Emmeline reluctantly got up, taking Regulus's seat in front of me. Regulus, on the other hand, stalked over to the empty seat beside me, slamming his potions textbook onto the table, making it shake.

"That totally wasn't dramatic," I said dryly.

Regulus gave me the side eye. "I swear the Merlin these professors are trying to kill me this year. I can't get away from you."

"Well I'm not enjoying it either, Black," I replied, "If that makes you feel better."

"Oh yeah, I feel loads better," Regulus said sarcastically.

I kicked his shin under the table, making him yelp, then continue glaring at me.

Regulus glared at me, his silvery-blue eyes peering into mine. A single black curl hung down across his brow bone, contrasting against his pale skin.

"This is going to be even worse if you don't play nice, McKinnon," Regulus said, crossing his arms.

I nodded my head, "Oh yeah? I bet it will. You're such an arse, Black."

Regulus smirked, "Don't lie, you like."

"Never in a million years," I replied, moving as far away from him as I could.

- - - - -

November 11th, 1978

It's our first match of the year, against Hufflepuff, and the weather couldn't be more perfect. It was sunny, minimal wind, and just the perfect amount of chill to the autumn air.

Marlene, James, and Sirius came to wish me luck before the start of the match. James was very adamant about winning the Quidditch Cup again. Sirius was hungover and wearing very fashionable sunglasses as he wished me luck. Marlene gave me an unneeded pep talk, which I still appreciated, and hugged me tightly before going to find seats in the stands.

We take the pitch, brooms in our hands as Hufflepuff enters on the opposite side of the pitch. Jack was leading us, grinning at the crowd as he reached the center of the pitch for the tip-off.

Madam Hooch, one of the younger teachers at Hogwarts made the captains shake hands. All of us mounted our brooms and took our positions in the sky before she blew her whistle, signalling the start of the match. The chest opened, and all four balls flew up into the sky as we all watched.

Emmeline grabbed the quaffle, already flying towards the hoops.

A bludger came flying towards me, and I smacked it off, just missing one of Hufflepuff's chasers.

"VANCE IS HEADING TOWARDS THE HOOPS, DOYLE IS FOLLOWING CLOSELY-, AND DOYLE DODGES A BLUDGER FROM MCKINNON AS VANCE SCORES. 10-0, GRYFFINDOR."

I watched as one of Hufflepuff's beaters hit a bludger and it began heading straight for our Seeker, Natalie. I flew towards her, hitting the bludger again, sending it flying towards Hufflepuff's chaser.

"THOMSON IS GOING FOR THE HOOPS-, TROUCHE BLOCKS HIS ATTEMPT, MACKAY SECURES THE QUAFFLE, AND MACKAY SCORES. 20-10, GRYFFINDOR."

The Gryffindor crowd cheers loudly at this, as I continue to keep my eyes on the bludgers. I spot one heading towards Jack, but I get there just in time and smack it out of the way with my bat.

We were almost an hour into the match, winning 90-30. I had hit every bludger away from my teammates, almost hitting Hufflepuff's seeker off of his broom accidentally.

"HOLKMAN HAS SPOTTED SOMETHING, COULD IT BE THE SNITCH?"

I flew higher, keeping a close distance on Natalie, watching for oncoming bludgers as she chased after the snitch.

Hufflepuff's seeker was gaining on her, his yellow robes blowing in the wind as he tried to catch up.

A bludger came straight towards Natalie, and I hit it away, making Hufflepuff's seeker dodge out of the way.

"HOLKMAN HAS CAUGHT THE SNITCH. GRYFFINDOR WINS 240-30!"

We descended from the sky, landing on the bright green grass of the pitch as Natalie held up the snitch for everyone to see.

The crowd went wild, the Gryffindor section yelling congratulations what we couldn't even here.

I shook Natalie's shoulders, "Good job!"

"One win down, three to go!" Jack cheered, making our entire team yell in response.

I rode the high from our first win all the way through the weekend and to Potions on Monday morning. We're going to kill it this year.