CHAPTER SIXTEEN - SHOPPING TRIP AND NEW FACES

Mikael's POV

I didn't get a lot of sleep that night. The things I heard, saw and experienced haunted me the whole night, nagging on the back of my head as a reminder. I blamed Esther on the paranoia that came with all the things.

I turned to look at the clock and looked at the time. It was 4am. I sighed and got up from my laying position. I sat on the edge of the bed and slowly rubbed my shaking hands against each other as I looked out of the window. I glanced behind me at Ayana and smiled softly, she was sleeping peacefully.

I turned back to the window and stood up from the bed. With a small kiss to Ayana's forehead I walked to the bathroom.

I stared at the shower and glanced down to my still shaking hands. I turned the shower on and changed the tempature to cold.

After taking my clothes off I stepped under the cold water. I sighed and closed my eyes as the water traveled down my body. I put my hands against the tiles and took a deep breath in to stop my hands from shaking so much. I looked down to the shower floor.

'Help! Help me! Please Miki! Help me! Don't let her take me!' I let a shuddering breath out as the voice of a small 8 year old spirit rung around my mind. He was the sweetest little thing, until Esther got to him after he travelled out of my reach. I blamed myself for a long time, the thought never really left me.

I couldn't save him.

"Get a grip." I whispered to myself and stood up straight. I opened my eyes and with a last deep breath washed myself clean.

I checked the time as I stepped out the shower. It was already 5am. I took a towel and ruffled my hair with it couple of times before wrapping it around my waist.

I walked out of the bathroom with my hair slightly wet and messy. With a glance towards still sleeping Ayana I went to get some clothes on.

I only had some of Elijah's clothes before we could go get some new ones for me, since Elijah was closest to my bodytype.

Not many choices to begin with, I put on black jeans and a white t-shirt.

I dried my hair and went to put the towel back to the bathroom. With the towel back to its place I walked to the bedroom and kneeled next to Ayana.

I gently stroked her hair with my hand and whispered: "Ayana, love." I cupped her cheek with my hand. She slowly stirred awake and opened one of her eyes. Ayana smiled and leaned into my touch. She put her hand on top of mine.

"I thought that was a dream." She whispered and closed her eyes again as I stroked her cheek with my thumb. "I'm going to go downstairs and try to make something. Take your time." I said in a gentle tone and kissed her forehead.

"That sounds good." Ayana mumbled sleepily and turned her head to kiss the palm of my hand. I chuckled and stood up from the floor.

I walked out of our bedroom into the hallway. With my way towards downstairs and the kitchen, I heard soft jogging steps behind me coming towards me. I praised for the impact and stood still as Rebekah jumped to my back.

She wrapped her hands around my neck and her legs around my waist as I held her. "Morning father." She greeted with a happy giggle.

I shook my head with a smile. "Morning. Why are you awake at this time?" I asked as I gave her a piggyback ride all the way downstairs.

"I couldn't sleep." Rebekah simply said and kept her head on top of mine. She giggled as I stopped on the hallway with no idea where to go inside the mansion. "To the end of this hallway and turn left."