13. an idea

each building seems older than the rest, every other one having boarded up windows or windows with the glass broken in. it was, as renjun always thought, a complete and utter ghost town, empty of anyone but renjun and his boyfriends, mrs. na, little yua, and hendery in the woods.

it's a great contrast from the lively city, something renjun, of course, had grown used to. it was something different yet nice in a way, being away from all the noise. yua grips his hand tightly, looking a bit scared at the surroundings, not being familiar with them whatsoever.

"it's okay," renjun finds himself whispering. "nothing's going to come out at you, sweetie."

yua manages to smile at him, clutching colours close to her chest. he shoots her smile back before jaemin taps him on the shoulder.

"huh?"

"i have an idea," he says cheerfully. "why don't we leave yua and jeno a day to themselves?"

"a day to themselves?" renjun looked disbelieving. "that's the last thing — "

"no, no, hear me out," jaemin says quickly. jeno glances at them both but soon looks away to stare at something else. "jeno's always going to complain that yua doesn't like him if she never warms up to him. spending actual time around him can help with that, don't you think?"

renjun considered this. "well, true...."

"so, what do you say?" jaemin says, poking renjun's arm playfully.

"i like the idea," renjun agrees, his frown changing into a smile. "but, what are they even going to do?"

"whatever yua wants to do, like playing with her stuffed animals," jaemin answers. "i think it'll work and jeno'll stop complaining about her for once."

"what are you guys talking about?" jeno cut in, narrowing his black eyes.

"what i told you yesterday," jaemin turns his eyes on him, still smiling brightly. "i told you renjun would like it."

"you do?" jeno rounded on renjun.

"of course," renjun tells him. "i think it's a great idea."

"well, i don't know — " jeno starts but renjun cuts him off.

"it's important to get along with her at least," renjun says. "please? it's just one day, nono."

jeno always had a hard time saying no to renjun. sure, he could easily say no to anything jaemin says with no hesitation, but renjun was a different story. he gives jeno just one simple look and jeno nods. "okay, fine, i'll do it."

"thank you," renjun says happily, briefly letting go of yua's hand to cup jeno's face with them both and kiss him on the nose. "you can draw a picture with her, or play with colours and mimi — "

"colours and mimi?" jeno asks with a tilt of his head.

"the names of her stuffed animals," renjun retorts. "i think they're cute."

"hm," jeno pursed his lips just before yua called out, "renjun! jaejae!"

renjun was quick to let go of jeno's face to check on her, his eyes wide with worry. "what's wrong, yua?"

"that!" she said, pointing her small finger in front of her. renjun looks in that direction, simply spotting hendery standing a few feet away, clearly having just stepped out of the woods. renjun just waves at him and hendery returns it before walking over.

"who's the kid?" he asks curiously. "you three dads now?"

"well," renjun blushes. "not really — "