Chapter 1

All the caffeine in the world right now wouldn't lift her from the pit of exhaustion she had found herself in. Besides, every time she had caught a whiff of someone else's coffee, it had taken everything in her not to bring back up the minimal food she had managed to swallow down at breakfast. Jet lag was kicking her ass, and she just generally felt like crap – thanks to this sickness bug she had managed to pick up.

Meredith grabbed her suitcase, her hand going to her stomach as the weight pushed another wave of nausea through her stomach. A slight wince whistled through her clenched teeth as a sharp pain simultaneously made itself present in her forehead.

She couldn't wait to get back to her bed and curl up under the blankets, to sleep this dreaded thing off. She lowered her sunglasses over her eyes, glancing around the airport shops see if there was anywhere that would be selling ginger ale. Ginger ale, quiet, and sleep. That's what would help her through this.

The sun shone through the glass walls of the airport as she made her way toward the exit for the car park. She stopped suddenly as she heard her name being called, confusion striking her as she looked around.

Her face softened into a smile as she saw the curly, brown-haired girl waving her arms in the air a short way in front of her. The young girl started running towards her, the father training after her in exasperation.

"Mer'dith!" Maddie called again, grinning when she realised Meredith had seen her.

"What are you guys doing here?" Meredith asked, unable to keep the grin off her face, despite her poor health.

"Really, really missed you," Maddie mumbled as her arms wrapped around Meredith's legs.

"Hey," Derek greeted her with a smile. "We figured we'd come and pick you up, save you getting a taxi, and we can go and grab some breakfast."

"Daddy said we can get pancakes!" Maddie grinned up at her with excitement. Her grip tightened, becoming a little too much for Meredith. She swallowed against the small amount of bile the rose in her throat.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked with a slight frown, stepping forward to kiss her cheek and gently rub her arm. He took her suitcase from her.

"Not feeling great," she murmured, shaking her head a little.

She crouched carefully, Maddie's arms instantly circling her neck. She returned the hug with a soft laugh, kissing the side of her head. "Hi, Maddie, I missed you too."

"Up, Mer! Gotta get pancakes," Maddie's over excitement was a little too much.

"Maddie, I can't carry you today, I'm sorry, I don't feel too good."

"Sick?" Maddie mumbled, burying her face in Meredith's neck.

"Yeah, I think I have a tummy bug."

Something about having Maddie in her arms made her feel better, and she squeezed her a little closer, kissing the top of her head. Maddie lifted her head to kiss Meredith's cheek with a giggle.

"When I'm sick, stay in bed and watch movies, and chicken soup. Daddy, make Mer chicken soup and we can watch movies," she looked to Derek with a definite nod, having decided it was going to happen.

"That sounds like an amazing idea," Meredith said as she stood, slowly, but taking a hold of Maddie's hand, taking the offer of Derek's arm to steady herself.

"I've got you," he murmured, his arm moving around her waist as she leaned against him, and he pressed a kiss against the side of her head.

"I need to lie down," she whispered, leaning into him a moment longer.