Chapter 22

The sound of voices floating up the stairs lured Meredith from sleep. After a small bout of confusion, she remembered Maddie was home soon, and figured she must be home. She grabbed a robe to wrap and tie around herself and made her way downstairs, bringing her hair up into a messy bun as she went. The pain in her abdomen had subsided some, but there were still aches in her body that she was finding hard to ignore. Her hand covered her mouth when a yawn escaped, standing in the doorway of the kitchen, not even sure where the voices were coming from.

"Mommy!"

Arms wrapped around her legs from behind her, and her grin was immediate. She turned and carefully crouched to bring Maddie into a proper hug in her arms. It was easy to ignore the pain when she had Maddie to focus on.

"Hi, baby girl. I missed you so much," she murmured and pressed a kiss against Maddie's head, her hand brushing over the plaits on the back of her daughter's head. "Did granny do your hair?"

"Nuh-uh," Maddie shook her head. "Auntie Mags did 'fore she brought me home."

"You've been hanging out with Maggie, huh?" Meredith chuckled softly, not yet moving her arms from around Maddie.

"She took me for ice cream," Maddie giggled. "Feeling better now, Mommy?"

"I am, little bug, don't you worry," Meredith said. She looked up at the sound of footsteps, seeing Derek stood there with Maggie. "Thanks, Maggie."

"It's my pleasure getting to hang out with Maddie," Maggie shook her head. "I was just about to head back, unless you need anything?"

"I...," Meredith paused, looking back at Maddie. "Maddie, baby, go get the sofa ready with Daddy for movie and cuddles and I'll be right in, okay?"

"Got it," Maddie nodded, taking a step back. "Make it super comfy."

Maddie ran off into the living room, and Derek threw Meredith, who was still crouched in the kitchen doorway, a concerned look.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"It's okay, go with Maddie," she shook her head before turning to Maggie with pleading eyes. "Maggie?"

"I've got you," Maggie said. She stepped forward and took Meredith's hand, helping her to stand upright again. Derek still hadn't moved from his spot, watching carefully.

"Der, really, it's just a little pain," Meredith said. "I need to talk to Maggie a minute."

"Okay, but I'm getting you some more painkillers once you're done," he insisted. He pressed a kiss to her cheek, his hand hovering at the small of her back. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said before he left them.

Meredith turned to Maggie again, feeling the tears brimming in her arms. Before she knew it, Maggie's arms were wrapped around her in a hug and she was crying into her sister's shoulder.

"Oh, Mer," Maggie whispered, holding her sister close and rubbing her back. "It's gonna be okay."

"It's like an old wound has just been ripped open," Meredith sniffed when she pulled back, wiping at her eyes. "I don't want this to break me again."

"Mer. You're strong. And when you're not feeling strong, we both know that man in there wouldn't hesitate to hold the world up for you," Maggie gave her a half smile. "We're all here for you. Take the time you need. And let Mom know you're still alive."

"Thank you for taking Maddie out," Meredith said.

"It was my pleasure. I love having a niece," Maggie grinned. "She's been worried about you. Go and spend some time with her."