Chapter 28

Dib blinked away the darkness as he looked around him, he panicked slightly when he observed the unfamiliar pink glass and flickering lights on the panel but calmed down when he remembered having entered Zim's ship.
Remembering Zim he looked down to see the small irken fast asleep on his chest as it rose and fell with each of his breaths "I fell asleep." Dib muttered questioningly to himself "Curses how long have we been out here?"

With the memory of running off Dib bit his lip "Ash and Lizzy are probably so worried." Looking down at the sleeping alien Dib apologized "Zim I'm sorry I know I said I'd wait till you were ready to go back, but I really need to get home." Carefully petting Zim's head Dib turned to the ship. "Hey Zim's ship, can I have Zim's disguise please?" With a strained voice the ship agreed "Retrieving Disguise Now" the ship responded making Dib wince. "Geez the ship's voice sounds like it was thrown through a blender" he hissed rubbing his ears. Two mechanical arms extended from the side of the ship holding a wig and pair of contacts. "Here you go," the ship said. Nodding his thanks, not wanting the ship to speak again, Dib grabbed the wig "I only need his wig for now" the ship retracted the mechanical arms leaving Dib with the wig which he carefully put over Zim's anteni.
Lifting Zim up and carrying him out of the ship Dib bit his lip praying that Zim wouldn't wake up and kill him.

Dib's footsteps crunched through the woods, with each step the trees seemed to creak and sway as they passed. Dib shuddered, "Walking alone at night in the middle of the woods is terrifying" he thought. Dib jumped as a bird flew overhead "How did I do this as a kid?" Dib looked down at the sleeping Zim in his arms. "How did we survive as kids?" Dib sighed as he kept walking.

The forest seemed to thin out around him as he neared the edge, and the lights of houses became more visible. Dib stepped out into his open backyard as the lights seemed to glow with the approaching dark.

Lizzy glanced out the glass door from where she sat at the table and leapt up from her seat when she saw Dib approaching. "Dib!" She called out as she rushed across the yard. Lizzy hugged her husband before holding his shoulders at arms length "I was so worried, you've been gone for nearly five hours!" Lizzy glanced over her husband and looked down at Zim who was asleep in his arms. With a tone shift in her voice Lizzy offered "Just come inside we can talk more after you've sat down and warmed up." Lizzy pulled them both inside and shut the door tightly.

Dib sat down on the couch Zim curled up on his lap. "I'm sorry for worrying you, I just lost track of time." Dib apologized. Lizzy stared at her husband in shock "While in the middle of the woods? Dib I nearly called the police!" Dib looked at the ground shamefully "Y-yea I know. It's just Zim was telling me about what they did to him and.. It's just, I've never seen him cry like that before" Dib said his voice quivered slightly as he narrowed his eyes.

Lizzy stoped as she thought about what he said. "Wait, they?" Lizzy thought. Turning to her husband Lizzy spoke in a serious tone. "Dib, who are Zim's caretakers?" Dib continued to avoid eye contact as he growled "They are not his caretakers, they're monsters." Lizzy narrowed her eyes, upset with her husband's behavior. "Dib this isn't something you can just blow off or avoid! This has to do with Zim's well being." Lizzy's voice began to raise as she continued "Dib something like this could be considered standing in the way of my investigation, This Is Serious!" Dib turned to his wife "I Am Being Serious!" He snapped "Do You Have Any Idea What He Just Told Me?!" Dib roared, before his voice dropped off and he looked away. "He literally just told me about how they locked him up and forced him to watch as they tore apart someone he cared about." 
Dib hugged onto Zim as he slep cradled in his arms. "I just can't let him go again Lizzy, I can't." Dib leaned back on the couch "This is all my fault. I let him go once and he lost everything, but I'm scared. Because, what if by taking him back... I lose you and Ash." Dib softly stroked Zim's cheek "You never should have married someone like me." Dib muttered.

Lizzy rested a hand on Dib's shoulder "Don't say that about yourself Dib." She urged, trying to comfort her husband. "Besides Dib, what happened wasn't your fault." Dib felt a warm tear run down his cheek "How can you be so sure?"

Lizzy opened her mouth to say something more but a knock on the door cut her off. Both Dib and Lizzy turned to look at the door. "Who could that be?" He asked. Lizzy stood up quickly as she walked over to the door "It's probably your sister, I got worried and called her when you didn't come back, so she offered to come over. She did also mention something about returning your car." Dib stared at the door as Lizzy happily opened it. "Hello-" Lizzy greeted. Another voice growled as the door opened. "I swear when I see that idiot's face, he's gonna pay for scaring you like that." Gaz stopped talking when she heard her brother's somber voice echo from behind Lizzy "Hey Gaz." He sighed.

Gaz turned to her brother "Dib you cursed idiot, when Lizzy called-" Gaz cut off when her eyes landed on the small green figure in his arms. With a cold glare Gaz looked up at her brother, and spoke in a tone that could shatter a person's soul.

"Dib I swear." She hissed, causing Dib to flinch. "For your sake, that better not be who I think it is."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.