seven

Setting: Mae's house in Hidden Hills, California

After a week in the hospital Mae was finally able to go home

After a week in the hospital Mae was finally able to go home. Mae couldn't wait to go back home and be in the comfort of her own bed instead of a hard, stale hospital bed.

Mae also hadn't been getting much sleep. Not just because of the uncomfortable hospital bed, but because of her nightmares. Every night it was the same dream. Every night she was reliving the car accident. Maybe she should tell someone about her dreams. But Mae just couldn't risk people worrying about her anymore. She didn't want anyone's sympathy.

Getting into the car was a battle of its own. Five minutes into the ride, Mae had a panic attack. Once Mae saw all the cars passing by, her heart started to race, her palms got sweaty, and she couldn't breathe. But after a few deep breaths, Mae was able to calm herself down.

Mae was wheeled into the grand entry of her mega mansion tucked away in Hidden Hills. Mae was blinded as the afternoon sun beamed into her house and reflected off of the white marble floors.

Since Mae couldn't walk or use crutches, because of her ribs, she had to use a wheelchair to get around. Making her feel more broken than what she already is. Demi wheeled Mae into the living room as Jesse set down Mae's prescription he had picked up from the pharmacy.

"We're finally home, babygirl." Demi exclaimed. During Mae's stay at the hospital, Demi never left her side. Being there for every test, every question, and every afternoon nap. Not even going home to take a proper shower. Yes, the hospital had a shower that they used but it didn't have hot water and Demi's favorite lavender scented soap.

"Can I just take a nap?" Mae asked. She wasn't sure if she was actually going to sleep but it didn't hurt to try. She hadn't gotten proper sleep in about a week and maybe being in her own bed was the cure.

Demi nodded and began making their way to the elevator. When they first got the house, they planned on removing the elevator. But after a long decision, they debated against it. Thinking that maybe one day they would have to use it, that day being today.

Mae's room looked different than how she had left it. For starters, it was clean, unlike how she left it. Mae wasn't known to be a messy person but once things piled on top of one another, the more Mae procrastinated getting it done. Furthermore, something about her room felt off. Maybe it was because she hadn't been in it for a week but something about it didn't feel right.

Mae ignored this uneasy feeling and climbed into bed, with the help of her mother. Demi made sure Mae was settled into her bed and gave her a kiss on the forehead muttering a "sweet dreams" and making their way out.

After being in the hospital and sleeping in the same room as Demi every night, Mae was afraid to sleep on her own. Call her a crybaby, but when you're having nightmares and reliving possibly one of the worst days of your life, it's nice to know that someone is there with you. Nonetheless, Mae closed her eyes and tried to get some much needed sleep, despite her mother not being there.