thirty

Setting: Mae's house in Hidden Hills, California

Mae listened for the front door as she rolled her mother's suitcase into the living room

Mae listened for the front door as she rolled her mother's suitcase into the living room. She was still unsure where her parents would be going but she packed the clothes that would be appropriate for any occasion. She had already called up Chi and explained that her parents would be gone and made arrangements to stay at her house for the time being.

The sound of the alarm played through the house, indicating that someone had entered through the front door. Mae walked to the foyer to greet her parents with the suitcase in tow. A confused look washed over her face when she became face-to-face with Demi.

"Where are you going?" Demi asked with a slight bit of humor in her voice. Mae laughed at the fact that Demi thought this was for her. It seems like she was just as clueless as Mae was.

"The real question is where are you going?" Mae shot back at Demi. Demi scrunched her face up and looked back and forth at Jesse and Mae. Jesse had bent over to pick up the suitcase and Mae stood there staring at Demi with a smirk on her face.

"What the hell is happening?"

"Believe me when I say, I don't know. Dad asked me to pack you a bag and I did. I guess you're going on vacation... again."

Demi still couldn't connect the dots from Mae's explanation. When she looked back at Jesse, he had disappeared into the kitchen.

All she wanted from Jesse was for him to show that he still loved Demi. She didn't want to shoot down his plan because at least he was trying. She just wanted her husband's love back and a romantic getaway wasn't going to do that. They couldn't be isolated from the rest of the world because all their problems existed in the real world. Running away from them wasn't the answer.

Jesse walked back into the foyer from the kitchen with the car keys in hand and his other held his phone pressed against his ear. He was staring at the ground when he walked in but as he ended the phone call he looked up to find Demi and Mae both staring at him.

"Mae you should pack a bag for the week too, Madison is on her way to pick you up." Jesse explained as he walked closer to them. Mae wanted to roll her eyes because she didn't want to stay with Madison. She loved her aunt but she wasn't as much fun as being with Chi. Nonetheless, Mae sucked it up and went upstairs anyway. Just because she was supposed to be at Madison's house doesn't mean she had to be.

Once the sound of Mae's bedroom door closing could be heard, Demi turned to Jesse with an unsure look on her face. "Jesse, what is happening?"

"We're going on a trip." Jesse watched as Demi began to shake her head.

"No Jesse, that's not what I meant in the car—"