seventeen

Setting: Mae's house in Hidden Hills, California

Demi woke up with a sore back from the cheap bed in the guest room

Demi woke up with a sore back from the cheap bed in the guest room. It was the first time in years since Demi had an argument with Jesse like that. Demi stepped out of the guest room and debated on going into their room, where Jesse would be. Deciding against it, Demi walked down the stairs, to the kitchen.

For breakfast Demi made two slices of avocado toast and ate them at the bar. Demi's eyes were glued to her phone so she didn't see Jesse come downstairs until he was in her view. Without a kiss or even a word, Jesse made his way to the fridge and began pulling things out to make a protein shake.

Not long after Jesse came downstairs, Mae entered the kitchen. Mae was still in her pajamas with uncombed hair.

"Good morning Mae." Demi greeted. She wasn't going to acknowledge Jesse but she could at least say hi to her daughter.

"Hi Mom." Mae deadpanned. Demi furrowed their eyebrows at Mae's harsh tone. Mae only called Demi Mom when she was mad at her.

"So is everyone just in a sour mood today?" Demi hoped that the two would take a hint at her sarcasm.

"Nope," Jesse gave Mae a kiss on her head. "Everyone is just mad at you." Jesse smirked at Demi then left through the garage. Jesse was in his gym clothes so they could only assume that was where he was going.

When Mae first came downstairs, she could tell her parents were mad at each other. They weren't talking to each other like normal and there was a huge elephant in the room. Her fathers words were just the things to confirm it.

Demi sighed as Jesse left. "Why are you mad, Mae?"

"Why are you sending my brother to New York?" Mae fired back. Normally Mae would get in trouble for talking to Demi like that but Mae couldn't care less. Ever since she heard the news, she was enraged with anger and wanted answers.

Demi rubbed their temples and let out a sigh. It was too early for all of this. "Oh God, Mae. Not right now, please."

"No, I want to know now. It's completely unfair! You know he doesn't get along with Aryn but you're going to kick him out to go live with that bitch!? How could you do that to him? That's fucking stupid!" Mae ranted. Mae was so angry she couldn't control her words. She just needed her mother to know how bad she fucked up.

"First of all, watch your mouth." Demi didn't miss how Mae rolled her eyes but decided not to address it. "Second, you don't know anything about why Maceo is going to live with his mom-"

"Because he's in trouble. He was at a party that you and Dad didn't know about, boo-fucking-hoo. When your kid gets in trouble you shouldn't kick them out-" Mae was cut off by Demi.

"Don't try to give me parenting advice Mae, you're fucking 14. There's a lot of shit that Maceo has done and you don't know about it. If he doesn't want to go to college, we're not dealing with his bullshit anymore." Demi explained to Mae hoping that she would understand and let it go.