twenty-seven

Setting: Demi's Meeting in Los Angeles, California

Demi sat at the head of the square table in the conference room

Demi sat at the head of the square table in the conference room. She didn't even know the men in this room, only Scooter. Everyone else was just people that happened to be a part of her team. There was the guy in the polo shirt and khaki pants that did all the talking, which Demi didn't listen to. She didn't even know what this meeting was for.

"So the plan is you release the song by September. Since the release is so close we'll do the announcement in a couple of days and start doing promo right after that." Announced the man sitting at the head of the table— opposite from Demi. Considering Demi didn't even know him, why the hell was he at the head of the table?

Demi snapped out of her daydreaming after processing what he said. Song? What song? It couldn't be To Be Loved. The only person she shared that song with was a producer so they could smooth it out.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Demi questioned, receiving dirty looks from others at the table. They have been here for almost an hour, of course, she wasn't going to listen the whole time.

"To Be Loved. C'mon Demi, keep up. As I was saying—"

"I don't even know how you got that song, but I'm not releasing it. That was personal." Demi stated.

"Well, it's not anymore." The guy stated while Demi sat up in her chair. This man's tone was about to get him fired. "Truth is, you're slipping from the media. You haven't released anything in five years, one single won't hurt anyone."

"Except for my husband," Demi said under her breath. "I can't release this song. Lock me in a studio for hours and I'll write a completely new song to release. Just anything but To Be Loved—"

"Demi, everything has already been planned. There's no backing out of this." Scooter stated.

Demi didn't feel like arguing anymore. Any argument with her team was pointless. She didn't care if she was "slipping" away from the media. All that meant was paparazzi wouldn't follow her every move and she could go grocery shopping without it turning into an impromptu meet-and-greet.

The worst part about this whole thing was the release. She wrote this song when she thought her marriage was over. Putting this out to the public would do nothing but spread rumors and bring back old memories. Most importantly, what would Jesse think of this? They were going to therapy twice a week together and making progress. This could destroy everything.

The men kept talking at the table, completely ignoring Demi's opinion and obvious annoyance. Listening to them was making Demi mad. Hearing how they planned to make her do multiple interviews and promo for the saddest song she's ever written pissed her off. If she was going to be forced to release this, she's going to do it her way.