Chapter 15- Dusk

It was the day of the band competition. I was SO nervous. Me and Jake were doing a duet, and I was so scared. I didn't want to ruin for the team. 

I took my black dress and heals and put them on. I stood by the mirror, gazing at myself reflection. 

"Hailey!! Hurry Up!!" Zander called from outside my room.

"I'm coming, just getting my microphone."

"You don't need a microphone..." He opened the door and saw my anxious face. He walked up to me and hugged me.

"You will be AMAZING! I've heard you and Jake practice. Your song is amazing." He comforted.

"Thanks, Zander." I spoke. "Okay! I'm ready! Let's go!" I ran down the stairs, and stuffed the breakfast in my face as I dashed out the door. Zander chased after me, with my coat and hat. I was running all around Rose Meadow, with Zander on my tail. As soon as we reached Rose Meadow High, I squealed. 

Zander finally caught up with me. He was a panting mess. I giggled as I took my coat and ran inside. I glanced around to find Jake. I assumed he must have been with the others. 

I looked at all the people. There were so many. I felt queasy but then I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"You'll be fine." Zander whispered. 

"Hailey! Over here!" I heard. I saw milly waving at me and jumping. She was with Luke, Sean, and Jake. I took Zanders hand and we scurried over there. 

Milly was wearing a pretty pink blouse and some jeans. Her hair was done beautifully and she was holding her guitar. 

Luke was wearing a plain white shirt with a red jacket. He was wearing black pants underneath. I had his drumsticks ready!

Sean had a black shirt on and black pants. He was wearing a white tie. He probably looked the most formal out of all of us. He had his laptop and he looked pretty excited about the big dj set on stage.

Jake was wearing a light red top, and over was a dark grey jacket. He was wearing cami pants and looked very nice. He was clutching a piece of paper and looked excited but nervous. 

We chatted and had punch before the performances started. The announcer walked up onto stage holding a mic.

"Hello all of Rose Meadow!" He called. The crowd started cheering. 

"I would like to thank you all for coming to the student band competition today. I and all the performers are grateful that YOU are here. Now, we have 14 amazing and thrilling performances for you today by high school music bands! So, sit back, drink punch, and ENJOY!" Me and the club took our seats as we watched the clubs preform. 

"Okay, when are we going?" Milly groaned. The 7th performance was going on. Everyone was so good, this was going to be so tough. 

"We'll be going last. We have to line up at 10th." Luke said. 

I started to feel nervous and anxious. We weren't even up there yet. My palms were in my lap, sweating. I was breathing heavily and Jake noticed. He took my hand and said if I ever messed up, he would be there for me. I blushed. I saw Zander glaring at me from behind Jake, so I let go and looked away.

"Guys! Cmon! We have to line up!" Sean said. We all lined up

"Alright. Now, for the last preformance today, we have Rose Meadow HIGH!" Cheers and whoops erupted through the crowed. We walked onto the stage as I looked down. So many people from our school were here. I could see daisy, Drew, Henry, Liam, zoey, lia. I saw mom and dad and Bethany too. 

"Hey everyone!" I called. They cheered. "Thanks so much for being here! We're super excited to preform for you! Now, enjoy!" I cried.

I looked at Jake, and he glanced at me. He folded the paper and tucked it into his pocket. I felt the lights dimming and the spotlight brighten on our faces. I heard the piano melody start to play as the guitar kicked in. I heard the drums, and the beat. I took a deep breath. 

I heard Jakes voice sing the first lines to our song.

Can you feel where the wind is?
Can you feel it through
All of the windows
Inside this room?

Light it up, on the run

Let's make love tonight
Make it up, fall in love, try
(Baby, I'm right here)

But you'll never be alone
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here
I'll hold you when things go wrong
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here

He looked at me as the music played. I felt a big quiver go down my spine. I opened my mouth, to sing.

We were shut like a jacket
So do your zip

Can you feel where the wind is?
Can you feel it through
All of the windows
Inside this room?

But you'll never be alone
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here
I'll hold you when things go wrong
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here

Then his voice kicked into mine as we sang at the top of our lungs.

But you'll never be alone
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here
I'll hold you when things go wrong
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here

was so relived. I didn't screw up. The crowd preformed a standing ovation for us. Drew even looked impressed. As I walked off the stage, I felt someone's hand brush against mine. I looked to see that is was Jake's! 

"Oh hey Jake." I said.

"Hailey! You did AMAZING!!" He cried. "Here, have this." He pulled the paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. 

"Thanks Jake. What's this-" But before I could finish my sentence, everyone else jumped on me and hugged me. They were all so proud of me.

"Hailey! You were so POG!!!!" Milly screeched. 

"Hailey! Oh my god, your voice was amazing. You were so good." Zander and Luke cried.

"Hailey. I'm proud of you. So, so proud of you." Sean said. I hugged them back. I looked at Jake at the side, smiling at us.

"Come on here Jake! Your part of our club!" I cried. I pulled him in.

Now all we had to do was wait.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading this chapter! Pretty long yea, 1106 words. This book is coming to an end. Maybe 2-5 chapters left. I love you so much and Tysm for supporting me with this journey. I hope you guys love this book just as much as I love writing it. First person to guess my favorite color gets a shoutout and a mention in the next chapter. See you all! Bye friends!