Chapter 12: Earned Work

Copyright 2021 by John Wells. All Rights Reserved.

Just a reminder for the reader of stuff described in book one, citizens in the empire must average six hours of work every day. Two must be educational. You must exercise two more of those hours. The remaining two can be anything, including earned. We averaged the hours from the moment you are born or start earning work in the empire to the moment of your death. First-class citizens can pick a time to die, the other classes have a fixed number of years to live. Dying in a scenario does not have any effect on you personally, except optional pain. The examples to follow used the shorter time before the standardization.

June made first-class in four days. This required three hundred sixty-nine days of work. Four days for the time in the empire, plus the extra year to be first class for two thousand two hundred fourteen total hours. Eight hours must be educational. Eight hours must be exercise. Two thousand one hundred ninety-eight hours can be anything. If either of those required hours were missing, she would drop back to third-class. In her case, the sex course was the limiting factor. She did everything else the first day. She had millions of hours from the design of the basic room everyone started in, on day two, for their usage the day before.

Gloria made first-class by her second birthday. The fact she earned work before being born does not matter. Her time starts the day she was born. This required three full years of work. Two years for the days of her life, plus the extra year to be first class for six thousand five hundred seventy hours. One thousand four hundred sixty hours must be educational. One thousand four hundred sixty hours must be exercise. Three thousand six hundred fifty hours can be anything. Similar to June, those required hours must be there to stay first class.

Most babies can not understand learning or exercising, so their time does not start at birth. Instead, it starts when they can perform their first six-hour workday correctly. The AI can remove any learning disability or birth defect or can change the work and course requirements to fit the being’s capabilities. In order to continue with the issue, you must experience at least one day’s work without it. You must make your permanent choice three quarters through your third-class age limit, so for humans by your twelfth birthday, or within your first three years, for adults joining the empire. If you got rid of it, you get an extra five years to catch up before being required to reach second-class. Diseases or age issues do not exist anymore.

Benfas could not earn educational hours because there were no courses. The exercise requirement did not exist for part of his empire's existence. Therefore, that time did not count. Once he had courses to take, he completed them as quickly as possible. However, many times, he reached a point of nothing to take. Therefore, he overdid his exercise hours. Every hour he could not do the education canceled three hours of the requirement: one education, one exercise, and one of any kind. By the time there were plenty of education courses, the AI removed a few months of time from his requirements for the lack of possibilities. All aliens went through this same problem on their entry to the empire. Unlike the humans, whose classes were all completed prior to the empire’s existence.

James did not start working until June and Debbie visited him. None of those previous days counted. Six days later, he made second-class so needed twenty days of work for one hundred twenty hours. Twelve hours must be educational. Twelve hours must be exercise. Ninety-six hours could be anything. His adding to the magic course gain some earned hours for the various students that saw his classified lessons.

Most first or second-class citizens worked extra for a work week so they can ignore work for the weekend. Once you banked the year to become first class, you only needed forty-two hours a week, so a work week of four, ten and a half hour days, to give you a weekend of three days off. You could party for thirteen and a half hours during the week and twenty-four hours over each of the three-day weekend.