Chapter 25: Finishing

Copyright 2021 by John Wells. All Rights Reserved.

Tina was making the wooden frames for the comfortable seating most of the time April was doing the appliances. They were timber-framed. She completed them and she had made the cushions. The bottom cushions tie to the frame at the back. The top cushions tie to the frame at the top. She paints die on the fabric, making the back side green, while the front has images of the animal covering all the cushions for the item.

April joined her in the building, making cast-iron pots, pans, and kettle. The baking pans she made were steel with a non-stick coating. She also made steel measuring cups and spoons. Once done, she transported them into their storage drawers.

She built a potters wheel and kiln. The kiln was electrical to cook the clay, similar to the oven with higher temperatures. The wheel was foot powered to make round clay objects similar to the drive wheel and treadle of a spinning wheel.

She spins two plates and mugs. She cooks and cools them in the kiln for most of a day. Once cool, she paints them with glaze showing the beast Tina loves. While she could with AI help make the images identical, she does not, instead they have four different poses. Then, she recooks them for a similar time.

After placing the pottery in the kiln, she makes a set of six place settings of silverware, with multiple serving utensils. The place setting has three different fork sizes, two different knife sizes, with a third knife the larger size having a sharp cutting edge, and two different spoon sizes. You would put out those you need to use. The small spoon was to stir coffee or tea. The big spoon was to eat soup or cereal. Salad or dessert would use the smallest fork. The small knife and middle fork were for appetizers. The large fork and knife were for the main course. If the knife could not cut the food, you would use the sharp version.

April made many larger forks, ladles, spoons, and slotted spoons to serve the food. Along with tiny forks to serve smaller objects. She transported everything into the drawer they belong in within the plastic section meant for them. That drawer got divided into sections with plastic colored to appear wood, thin like a flat metal sheet, with steel strength magically applied.

The cooking utensils would need wood handles from Tina to prevent heat or cold transmission. She made four each of spoons to stir, forks to pick up for rotating, different size spatulas for flipping, different size spatulas for scraping, and tongs for lifting. There were two different whisks, a cheese grater, an ice cream scoop, two mashers, a meat tenderizer, a pizza cutter, two peelers, and two different icing spreaders. These find themselves in their drawer section, after Tina fuses their handles on. She makes the bed springs Tina will need while the forge is hot. The top and bottom have a flat circular plate fused to it to better support the foam.

She also makes parts of seven zippers for Tina’s cushions: bottom stop, two top stops, many elements, slider, pull tab, insert pin, and box pin, plus a sewing needle. The bottom stop goes on the bottom of the zipper on one side, while the box pin goes in it on the same side. On the other side, the insert pin is to be placed into the bottom stop to zip the zipper. The elements form the zipper and go on both sides, alternating up to the top. They put the pull tab into the crown of the slider, which goes on the bottom stop side. Finally, a top stop ends the zipper keeping the slider on.

Tina builds and sews the zipper on the back of the bottom cushions. Followed by the bottom of the top cushions. She places the foam rubber padding into the fabric and ties the cushions in place, and transports the finished furniture to their location in the house.

Tina makes various wine and drink glasses for six that the house needs. She transports these away to their drawer.

She makes April’s wooden handles finishing the item, plus a wooden salad serving fork and spoon, before she starts on the timber-framed bed. The salad stuff gets transported into their place.