Chapter 26: Moving In

Copyright 2022 by John Wells. All Rights Reserved.

April and Tina had spent the last few centuries sharing their childhood beds. They still slept two hours in both houses of their parents. Building their little farm took a few decades. Now that it was complete, the thought of making everything themselves from now on was slightly frightening. The animals were pets. They knew their minds. Eating them felt wrong.

The new house had a last meal setup by the AI. They invited their parents to come see the finished product. They toured the fields and gardens first. Followed the walkway to the barn. Climb the ladder to the loft. Left the barn’s front door to the forge’s back door. Everywhere they went, they explained what things did and how they got used. Eventually, they entered the house by the back door.

While their parents sat in the living room area, the females made dinner. Tina transported the extra chairs and leaf into place. April cooked a seafood chowder to start. Stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer. Prime rib, mashed potatoes, and broccoli with cheese for the main. Pecan pie for dessert. Champagne and coffee to drink.

April chopped potatoes, onions, celery, garlic, and broccoli. As she did that, she transported stuff to set the table.

Tina chopped the seafood and mushroom stems She also sliced the bread. She tossed the bread in a pan into the top oven. April transported a pan on the stove with the butter, onions, and celery to cook. Mix in spices and sherry cooking, until the alcohol is gone. Add potatoes and clam juice, until tender. Add seafood and white sauce that she made from butter, flour, and milk in a second pan.

April took the toasted bread out and broke it into crumbs. She mixed the crumbs with olive oil, garlic, and mushroom stems. Stuffing it on top of mushrooms. Baking them in the already hot oven on a baking tray.

April put the broccoli to boil in a steamer. She boiled potatoes in a pot. She fried the prime rib on the griddle.

Tina boiled water, corn syrup, butter, sugar, and cornstarch. She took it off the heat to add beaten eggs, vanilla, and pecans. Pouring into a pie pan with a shell made of flour and butter, she put it in the bottom oven.

Everyone sat at the table when the chowder was ready. Tina filled the champagne glasses while April brought the soup bowls.

Tina’s dad proposed a toast to a job well done. Everyone touched glasses and had a drink. Both girls floated their glasses to reach those on the other half of the table.

After everyone finishes, April collected the empty bowls and used spoons to put on the counter. Tina brought the mushrooms on a platter and plates to eat them.

Once done, Tina cleared the used stuff and brought the mashed potatoes she had mashed, plus added butter and milk, while April brought the plates, platter of meat, and broccoli she had added the cheese to. They passed the food to all to serve themselves.

April cleared the used dishes and food from the table after everyone was done. She had the AI taken back the leftovers. Tina brought the pie and plates to the table. She cut and served the pie to everyone, while April poured the coffee, after putting a creamer and sugar bowl on the table.

Afterwards, they opened both doors and offer cigars. Since smoking is no longer addictive or bad for you, it was popular with the adult classes. Cigars after a splendid meal is a relaxing way to digest your food.

Throughout the evening, the conversation was on what the girls accomplished. Both sets of parents did not believe they could do the same.

That there is nothing left to learn without hunting it down yourself and they have decades of exercise banked means they do not need to move for many years. That their next meal must get gathered to keep to their plan is a little overwhelming. The house has nothing edible in it. Everything that was served was from the AI, though they only got ingredients.