Chapter nine : ~ new friends ~

Ophelia Rivers ' POV

The shadow came nearer. My eyes widened, the hairs on the nape of my neck bristled. A gaggle of goosebumps laminated my skin. My heart raced at dangerous speeds, my pulse quickened and i could feel every thump as if my soul detached from my body then came back.Adrenaline flew over my veins like a fish through the ocean. I couldn't move a muscle.
I breathed in and out but air wouldn't enter my lungs.
They rose and fell unsteadily and shallowly.Each second seemed eternal.
The shadow was mere inches from my face.
I couldn't focus, my thinking was distorted. I tried to scream but my mouth lacked saliva and a croak was all that could escape from it.
The dark black cloak had a big hood, which hided perfectly the face of the shadow.
I couldn't see it.
A bony finger made its way right in front of my eyes.I immediately closed them.The finger traced circles in my left cheek, then caressed the rest of my face.
I shuddered in both, disgust and fear.
Suddenly, the sickening feeling left my face.I reopened my eyes.
Instantly, a hand wrapped around my throat, choking me to death. I felt the skeletal fingers digging in my flesh. My lungs were emptied from air...
I.. I...

"Aaaahhhh" i screamed, waking up.

I was all clammy, sweat dripping from my forehead.
It was just a nightmare.
Thankfully.
I breathed a sigh of relief.
That shadow kept hounding me and terrorising my head.
I wasn't sure if it was real or my mind was playing tricks on me.
I wipped the sweat with my hands, tidied my hair and took a sitting position trying to catch my breath.
Knocks hit on the door.

" Ophelia, you alright, honey? "
That was Grandma Mia.

" Come in, Mia " i said.

The door creaked open and in came Mia, Zach, two girls and a boy, whom i assumed would be my cousins.No Ray, though.

" What's wrong Prin..Ophelia ? We heard your screams and..we came right away" Zach asked worryingly, drawing near me.Mia stood at the bed headboard holding my hands, Zach sat on my bed and my cousins stood in both sides of the bed.

" Just a nightmare, i..nothing to worry about. " i rassured him, looking at each one at once
" Well, now that I'm rassured, i should go check my dear flowers,
they surely need some of my care." She smiled.
So expected from her.
We all smiled back.
The tension eased and everyone fell quiet after Mia exited my room.
I took it as an opportunity to get a closer look of my cousins.
The boy was silent, he was like concentrating on something,with his hands interlaced and brought to his mouth. He was a good looking boy.Chestnut silky hair, baby blue eyes that can make you feel lost in them, and light stubble.He seemed sinewy but not as much as Zach.He ran his hand through the stubble that stretched over his scalp, his hair flopped over his eyes and i had a strong urge to lay the strands back to place.But, of course, i kept my hands on my lap.It would be a lot awkward to do that. He had on his wrist bracelets in woven leather.
He appears to be reserved and calm.
The girls were both brunettes and both very beautiful.One, had light brown hair, brown chocolate eyes and a heart-shaped face.She had tiny features. Small nose, and a minute mouth with perfectly white teeth.
She had a winged eyeliner traced on her eyes which made them gorgeous. She was staring longingly at the window with a profound and vague look.
I averted my eyes to the other side of the room.
The other brunette was popping a gum in her mouth, chewing it fiercly and noisily. She had darker hair, reaching her neck. Her eyes were a bright faded blue maybe mixed with emerald green. Her eyebrows were on spot and shaped perfect arrows.
She raised her hands, examining meticulously her nails. Her chewing was so annoying that i felt uncomfortable.
I cleared my throat.

" We never met officially " i smiled pleasantly, ignoring the cracking of the gum.
Immediately, all their heads turned my direction.

" I'm Ophelia. " i continued.