Chapter Eleven

I sat in the King's office hesitant to say anything. Or, really, write anything in the new notepad Esmeralda gave me. The pen was purple and glittery. A maid brought a silver tray over and placed it on the coffe table between us. I sank deeper into the dark leather couch and desperately tried not to. He waved away everyone and I was suprised to see I was the only one in the room with him.

"From my understand," he poured hot water into two porcelain glasses. "This is perhaps the only way I can get a word in with you. Seeing as how you can't speak and all."

I smiled.

"But I'm sure that won't stop you from scribbling fiercely at me midsentence."

I shook my head and took the cup and saucer he handed me.

"Excellent." I liked the way the King smiled. King Amos was warm and fuzzy and kind. He spoke deeply and softly. Kind of like the narrator voice in a children's movie.  "I'd like to start off by extending my greatest apologies. You do not know how much it pained me to see you get hurt."

I looked down at my hands but he continued.

"When I married my wife, though I love her dearly, I knew what I was getting into as king." he sipped his tea. "As King it's my job to see through those kind of things despite my objection."

King Amos-

He helped up a hand and I stopped my scribbling. He smile gently. "I knew you'd interrupt me." I smiled back at him. "What I'm trying to say his I want you to understand what it looked like from the eyes of the guards."

I nodded.

"I know you were not treated fairly and every guard that so much as laid eyes on you during that process was either suspended or fired. Do not feel sympathy. They know the rules and they broke them. From the perspective of a King I had to sit down and watch but as a father," his face turned somber. "It hurt me deeply to see my son so distraught. Now, I know you Lady Alessandra. You are a good girl, bright and kind. I cannot put into words how awful I feel that this has happened and the palace is absolutely responislbe for you without a doubt. Do not worry. We have you taken care of.

"As for my son, he loves you. It's clear you feel the same way." I blushed but he continued. "I don't know what has taken him so long to pop the question but I suspect it doesn't all have to do with his mother's objection."

I looked up at him immediately and I could tell he saw the hope in my eyes. The hope of being understood.

"There's something clouding your heart and imparing your judgement. You don't want to leave the life you love behind but you also want  more."

   I let out a heavy sigh and for once it felt so good to be understood. I nodded frantically and he smiled at me.

"Take your time. I know my wife is harsh on you, believe me." I wanted to scoff. "But the years as queen have not been kind to her at all. Lost and harsh politics has made her bitter. I'm not condoning any of it but I do sympathize with her."

I peaked up at him through my lashes and I could tell he was speaking honestly.

"She was raised in a home filled with love, yes. But things were often extremely unfair for her. It was hard for her being the first woman to ever run a country before, in Illean history. Resentment has put her in pain. Her brothers always had a choice in life whereas she didn't. My Eadlyn is an intelligent, compassionate woman but she lives too much in the past. She wants the best for her country and in the process she let it destroy her. That is why I am so soft when it comes to Will and Rosie. I see Rosie turning reckless and I see Will taking the same stressful path as his mother."

    I did appreciate what the king was saying and it changed my perspective of the palace and everyone in it. It must be hard being the first woman to rule a country on your own. It must be hard getting to see your other, younger brothers make their choices and have happy lives while your stuck with a destiny you never wanted nor chose. 

can sympathize with her.

But I do not excuse some of her actions and I think that was what King Amos was trying to get at.

"Take your time child," he gently touched my hand. "Trust me. He'll be here when you're ready."

Hopefully.

If Cecilia doesn't beat me to him first.