Chapter Fifty

Two Weeks Later

We spent the New Year in mourning. I had never been to a funeral before except for one when I was seven. Our next door neighbor had died of a stroke at 87 and the whole block went to watch him be buried.

I did not wear make up because I would have cried it all off by now. There was a black veil covering my face. Emilie was holding one hand and daddy was holding my other while Ora stood on the other side of my father. She insisted on staying close.

Illea declared war on New Asia but since then they've backed down. There is a plan for new walls and underground security systems to be built in the palace and construction starts in the spring. The palace had not been infiltrated in decades so there is clearly a need for an upgrade.

We lost countless people, around a hundred. The guard named Barnes did not make it and neither did Pablo.

Angelo, Tammi, and Pierre made it however and I was overjoyed to see them in such good health. Angelo was shot in the leg and walks with a bit of limp but he seems alright.

My girls are alright. I was relieved when I heard. So were the King, Queen, Maxon, America, Rosie, and the twins. I was relieved then also. Except for Will.

Will was shot.

Will was shot.

He was shot.

 I watched them lower the casket into the grave and I squeezed Emilie and daddy's hand. They squeezed back. I saw Tiny's family. I told her family she was hero and that she same my life. I told her parents that she loved them and I told her brother she was proud. They cried and I cried with them.

Today was the last funeral and almost everyone came. I saw Cecilia's parents. I said she was my friend and that was all. Constance was crying. Beverly didn't make it. Neither did Perri or the girl named Amy or Annie.

Krystal saw me after the funeral and she hugged me tight and I was glad because I felt like her hug kept me from falling apart. I was walking on wobbly knees. I was too numb to feel anything. Daddy and Emilie went to the hotel ahead of me. I had people to say good bye to. Too many people.

Too many premature good byes.

It was cold in Angeles but not snowing like in Carolina. There's a storm in Carolina. A storm with all my sorrows ready to burst from every snowflake. I was one of the last to leave and I watched the royal family walk down the hill. They were crying and sniffling from the devestation and the pain and grief was clear. Even Eadlyn looked teary eyed. I saw Rosie and she gave me a knowing look. I turned away.

I turn away from everyone nowadays.

I approached my car when a familiar head of dark hair welcomed me. He had a cast on his right arm from when he'd been shot in the shoulder.

"Hey." Will said.

I couldn't even muster a weak smile. "Hi."

I still loved him.

Which sucked like Hell.

He opened up my car door and I stepped inside. I looked up at him and realized how glad I was that he was alive. "I'm sorry about Cecilia." I looked away and he leaned down so he could look at me through the car window.

"I know. I'm sorry about Tiny."

"I know."

"I'm sorry for putting you through Hell." He said quietly.

I nodded. "I know."

"Mind if I ride with you?"

I shook my head and Will entered on the other side.