A Measure of Time

My measure of time starts with treating time travel like distance. Like traveling five kilometres in direction. Instead you travel five minutes in time.

As a direction. The formula for Time Travel = Time x Velocity. Adding to this. Velocity is a speed in a direction. So Time Travel = Time x (Your speed and direction relative to mine).

Some of the components of this equation may be fixed. We may not be able to change them with any noticeable effect. Other components may be relative. By relative, I mean that your value may be different to mine.

If any of the components are relative. Then your value of time travel for any time, speed or distance could be different to mine.

What components are relative?

Time direction may be something we can change. Black holes can bend light, space and time. Quantum physics predicts this.

This may not place you in my future or past. Its only effect may be that, if our time path crosses again, you would have aged more than me.

What components are fixed?

Time speed may be fixed for all of us. Just like the speed of light is fixed. This provides a constant time reference across a timeline.

You may not be able to pause, rewind and fast forward time speed relative to me or anyone else.

Even If you could change time speed. If everything else changes time speed with you. Then your time speed change would be pointless. It could make changes within the overall multiverse someway. But none of us would notice that anything happened.

This does not mean that time speed needs to be constant between time travelers in different timelines and dimensions.

There is a common theme in fantasy and science fiction stories. Where someone travels, for a period of time, to another timeline or dimension. And when they come back, hundreds of years may have passed. Where for them only days, or minutes have passed.

In the end, time travel, in our dimension and timeline may have fixed speed and time. So the only way you could time travel at a different rate to me is change your time direction relative to me. Otherwise your time machine may need to be a doorway into, and out of, another dimension or timeline.