Confess Now

The black digital alarm showed 10:37 p.m. in red. The lamp on her desk illuminated her exhausted face with her elbow resting on her desk and her cheek in her palm. Two cerulean blue eyes stared at the homework but unable to focus on solving geometry problems. Her mind was occupied by Danny being freaked out about the kiss and abruptly left her house.

It had been a week and a half since they both last saw each other. She hasn't attended the training either. She told Marceline she's under the weather but the black raven hair girl knew otherwise. So, she let it aside.

She knew Roxina-might-have a thing with Danny. Alicia always thinks that by using her looks, she can easily manipulate his mind to lower down his guard as though she's a goddess and he's her soldier.

Her fists caught her red hair as she let out a groan of frustration. She crumbled her paper into a ball and threw it across her room, toppling onto her nightstand before it rolled on the wooden floor. Her hands hid her face, feeling the shame coming back to her head. She shouldn't have kissed him. That had been her stupid move.

The next day was a wreck. She came to school, looking like a girl who broke up with her lover. Dark circles drawn underneath her eyes. Her sapped hoodie with a Boston display covered her head, worn jeans from yesterday and blue sneakers. Her red hair was down, letting some tips out of her jacket. She did her daily school routine; walked through the hallway while avoiding groups of students huddled or passing by, inserting her password before grabbing her books from her locker and headed off to her first class.

Her focus on the teacher, who's explaining the concepts of calculus, was not working like last night. Her eyes became a hawk's view on the girl with wavy black hair giggling quietly at words by a girl seated next to her, as though she's looking for her next meal.

"Ally." A voice called to her.

"What?" She switched her view to the boy sitting next to her. He's more of an average person; curly blond hair covering his big forehead, few acne across his cheeks and blunt jawline.

"You kept staring at her," she shot her gaze at him. Why the hell is wrong with him? She hopes he's not thinking what she thinks.

"I'm . . . not. I'm just observing," she rested her chin on her palm. Her gaze returned to Roxina.

"That looks more than observing," he eyed her to Roxina before looking back to her again.

"Look, can you stop bothering?" She wanted to put her hands on her temple to rub the pain away.

She's glad she didn't hear him saying you're damn moody or else she's giving him a few tricks he doesn't know. Her day went on but she felt the world was slowing down. Boredom was tugging on her shoulders that slouched down, unable to straighten her back like she always does in her happy mood. She begged the daylight to go to the other side of the planet so she can sleep like a log on her comfortable bed.

She met Danny when they were both coincidentally at New York's public library at thirteen. She was asking him where the history aisle is. He pointed to a higher floor. She thanked him before walking away, but she didn't notice him blushing. The next day, she came back to the library but unexpectedly saw Danny in a different spot. Each day she came back, he was always there, accompanied by two or three stacks of books, papers scattered in front of him and a lamp desk. They were the first things she noticed he always had those with him.

She always assumed he's a nerd.

Some time later, Danny asked her if he could sit next to her, even though his stuttering and awkwardness had embarrassed him in front of a girl. Nevertheless, she let him be. Soon, his guidance for chemistry formed a small bond together. She's surprised when he tells her he's Japanese. 'No wonder he looked like an Asian,' her thought said.