After All This Time

The two children do not know that they are being watched.

A boy and a girl run around in ancient halls, playing a game whose rules are only known to them. They have been out of breath for a while now, and both of them are red-cheeked, gleaming in the warm light of the torches.

"Slow down," the girl says. "It's not fair."

She pouts, for the boy does not slow down at all. On the contrary, he runs away from her even faster than before.

"You're just mad that I'm faster than you," he says, sticking out his tongue.

His black hair is curly from his sweat, the braids coming undone at their edges. He does not seem to notice this. She crosses her arms.

"It's not fair," she repeats. "You're a boy, so of course you're faster than me."

Finally he slows his pace, for she doesn't look like she wants to play anymore.

"It's not because I'm a boy," he taunts. "It's because I'm the first-born."

"That doesn't mean anything."

"Does so."

"Does not."

"Well, Adad told me that, as the first-born, I'll be the heir of his kingdom."

The little girl frowns, her ice-blue eyes sparkling with confusion.

"He never said that to me."

"That's because you're the second-born."

She pouts once more, not yet understanding that this is the exact reaction her brother seeks to cause.

"It's not fair," she says again, stomping her foot with all her might.

A platinum lock falls in front of her, and she blows it away with a breath. Half of her hair is braided in an updo that took hours to complete, for she would not sit still, not even for a minute.

"Many things are not fair," the boy shrugs, wise beyond his years. "Like the fact that you're Ama's favorite just because of your stupid tail."

A furrow appears between her brows.

"It's not stupid," she says in a low voice.

Though the color of her eyes takes after her father, the shape of them is exactly her mother's: large and wide, and slightly almond-shaped. They always look curious. Especially when she tilts her head, too.

"You just wish you had a tail," she continues, this time more bold.

"No," he says, hardly even convincing himself.

"Of course you do." The frown disappears from her face, instead replaced by a sweet smile. "I'm the most beloved princess in— in all of the kingdoms. Everyone wants to be like me."

The boy scoffs, clearly annoyed with his sister.

"Maybe, but you'll always be a princess. I, on the other hand..." Slowly, he starts running, picking up their game again. "...I will be a king."

He has his father's fair skin, and already takes after him in his strong build. One day, the boy will grow up to be handsome enough to hurt.

She, on the other hand. One day, she will be beautiful enough to kill.

I retreat back into the shadows, so intent on watching them that I do not hear him approach me. But in my defense, naiads never did have good hearing above waters.

"Scared they might get into mischief?"

Thorin's voice is so close to my ear, I nearly yelp in surprise. After making sure they did not notice our presence here, I slap him across the chest.