DenNor pt. 2

Lukas poured orange juice into his cup, frowning slightly. He felt... weird. He couldn't put his finger on this feeling, he just felt wrong.

Mathias jogged into the kitchen, decked out in his athletic uniform. "Morning, elskede."

Mathias leaned over to grab a granola bar from a container on the counter before pausing. He snatched the bar up and stood, looking over to his mate.

"What?"
"You smell weird."

Lukas narrowed his eyes. "Thanks." Mathias laughed awkwardly.

"Sorry. I'm headed out." Mathias kissed his mate on the cheek and made a move to leave, pausing in the doorway.

"Call me if you need anything, okay? Seriously, something just doesn't feel right." He gave an earnest look to his watch and shot a conflicted one at Lukas.

Lukas lifted his glass to his lips, taking a drink before realizing that Mathias was waiting for some sort of signal from him, whether it be one confirming that it was alright to leave or asking him to stay.

Lukas simply nodded towards the door. "I'll call."

Mathias nodded. "Promise?"

He rolled his eyes. "Promise."

Not seeming satisfied, yet knowing he was going to be late for work if he delayed any longer, Mathias reluctantly left.

Lukas' frown deepened. So Mathias sensed something off too.

He shook his head. He had stuff to do and didn't have time to worry about strange feelings. Finishing off his glass, he headed towards his room to get ready for the day.

***

Lukas rummaged through apples at the store, carefully examining each one. "Lukas!" Lukas looked up to see his cousin's mate, Tino, walking towards him.

Lukas gave him a small smile.

"Hey Tino."

"How have you been? You look so good! It's been so long! How far along are you?" Tino shot off questions and Lukas struggled to keep up.

"Um... thank you... it has been a long time... 20 weeks..." Tino stopped abruptly, "sorry, I had three cups of coffee this morning. Peter is sick and I was up with him all night."

"Poor thing," Lukas said with a sympathetic look. "You can say that again. He-"

Lukas didn't hear the rest of his sentence. A sudden wave of dizziness overtook him. He closed his eyes and leaned back onto the apple bin.

"Lukas?" Tino's voice was laced with concern. "Hmm?" Lukas opened his eyes, looking up at Tino. "Are you alright?" Tino reached out to put a hand on Lukas' shoulder.

"Oh. Yeah. I'm fine, just tired." Lukas gave his cousin- in- law a solemn look.

"Well... I better be going, Berwald must be panicking with both boys on his hands. Are you sure you're okay?" Lukas forced a smiled and stood up by himself again, "Yeah, I'm good. Go home. Don't leave your Alpha waiting."

Tino shot him a small smile and hesitantly walked away. Lukas took a deep breath and headed for the milk.

***

Sighing, Lukas finally reached the check out line.

He stood in line behind a young mother struggling to get a toy out of her toddler's small hands.

Lukas frowned, suddenly feeling light headed. "Excuse me. Excuse me sir. You're up next."

Lukas looked up to see a slightly confused cashier waving him forward.

"Sorry."

Lukas took a step forward and his world exploded. The room started to spin and he heard screaming as his world went black.

***

His head hurt. Everything was so bright. Was someone talking to him? He was slightly aware of movement and something pressed around his mouth and nose. Ugh. He wanted to go back to sleep.

"Need..... Awake...."

Someone was talking to him. He struggled to understand.

"Need you... try to... awake."

Stay awake? Is that what they meant? No. God he was so tired. Everything was so bright. His head hurt.

"I... To... stay..."

I'm sorry. I can't.

***

The next time Lukas woke up, he was aware of pressure on his hand. He slowly opened his eyes, trying to adjust to the light.

He glanced down to see what was on his hand, only to see another on top of it. He followed the arm up to see its owner. Mathias. He sat in a chair, gripping Lukas' hand. His other arm was pillowing his head. 

He was laying face down on the bed. Wait, these weren't their sheets, and why was he sitting next to the bed and not in it? Lukas shifted slightly to get a better look at his mate, and Mathias looked up, surprised. "Hey."

He gave Lukas a small smile traced with worry that immediately sent alarm bells off. He looked like he had cried recently. Lukas tried to voice his concerns but was stopped by something covering his mouth. He frowned and reached up but Mathias gently grabbed Lukas' wrist, stopping him.

"No. Don't try to take it off. At least, not until the doctor tells you to."

Doctor? He didn't have an appointment today. What was going on?

Mathias seemed to notice the confusion clouding his Omega's face. "You're in the hospital. I heard you caused a bit of a commotion at the grocery store this morning."

The grocery store. Everything came crashing back to him. Meeting up with Tino, the dizziness, the darkness... Lukas' eyes widened.

The baby. Was he ok?

Lukas shot up before being overcome with dizziness once again and falling back onto the bed. "Easy!" Mathias warned, "They've already taken some tests. We'll know what's going on soon." Tears started to fill Lukas' eyes.

What did he do? This wouldn't be happening for no reason. What had he done?

"Hey, it's ok. I'm sure he's fine. When you first got here, they did a quick ultrasound and the little guy was dancing away, you should've seen him. He takes after his dad with those moves. Shhh. You'll be ok," Mathias rubbed soothing circles into the back of his mate's hand.

Lukas pushed the sheets of the bed back, scooting over and hoping his mate got the idea.

He did.

Without hesitation, Mathias slid next to him, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and guiding his head towards his chest.

Lukas allowed it, finding the exhaustion flooding over him once again and drifting to sleep soon after.