1. black magic woman.

H A K A N

6 months later...

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport. Local time is 1:45 in the afternoon and it is currently 88 degrees.

For your safety, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the 'Fasten Seat Belt' sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about. Cellular phones may only be used once the 'Fasten Seat Belt' sign has been turned off.

Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight. If by chance you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat  until all other passengers have deplaned and one of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you. On behalf of Jetblue Airlines and the entire crew, we would like to thank you for joining flying with us and look forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day everyone!"

"Looks like we're finally here bro. Are you ready for this shit? Long way from New York." Kian said handing me my duffel.

"Let's just get off of this stupid flight– my ass is numb and it smells like fuck all on this plane."

I threw my bag over my shoulder and watched the women– some alone, some pair of friends and some with men of their own, shamelessly ogle over Kian and I.

Unfaithful cunts.

After thirty minutes of chowing down and pointless airport shopping, we reached our uber driver, sitting in a black GMC Yukon Denali with all of the windows down. We threw our luggage and other bags into the trunk and made our way back around. Sliding into the SUV, the smell of leather, old spice and tobacco filled my nose– the sound of 'Black Magic Woman' by Santana faintly played in the background. He pressed his foot gently on the gas and I ultimately relaxed into the soft seats.

Looking out the window and allowing the warm breeze to dance in my hair, I stared into the city and am in awe. It was just like I imagined– busy, artistically beautiful and fairly hot. Everything I'd been wanting, but had to kill to get to.

"Tulane University, huh?" The driver lightly tapped his finger against his steering wheel.

"Yes sir." Kian said.

Sliding out a menthol Newport and placing it between his lips, he flicked his lighter, "you mind?"

The driver held up his cigar and shook his head. Earning a light chuckle from Kian and myself as he attempted to pass me a cig. Turning his head towards me from my hesitance.

"You know I only smoke Camel Whites." I replied.

"And I also know you're out of them right now and need one. The closer we get to University, the faster your foot taps and you keep running your hand through your hair as a distraction from the fact that your hands are shaking. I know you bro."

Just staring at him, a little annoyed he knew me so well. He pushed it out further, "it'll take the edge off."

I kissed my teeth and snatched it out of his hand. I lit it and took a long drag with closed eyes, allowing the smoke to infiltrate my lungs and slowly blow it out; my anxiety intertwined with it. So much of everything here and I couldn't seem to wrap my head around how long it took me to find a place as enlightening as this. How long it took me to find a person to take with me that understood my needs and didn't pry.

I looked over at Kian in appreciation for being that person. He was chewing gum obnoxiously and texting on his phone with a sinister smirk on his face. He looked up at me and laughed. "We're gonna have a lot of fun at this college bro."