CHAPTER 14

🌻

"Where are you going this early?" Mom asked when I walked downstairs all dressed up and headed for the door. She just came out of her office.

"Out. I'll be back late." I answered.

I didn't want to talk to her. I didn't want to see and talk to Mew as well. I was still angry and hurt. I wanted to stay out of the house as soon as possible. But when I got out, I saw Mew organizing things in the minivan. How untimely. I walked passed him, not saying anything.

"Where are you going?"

I didn't answer him. I went straight to the gate and opened it. Only Mew and mom owned a car of their own, I didn't have one. Not that it mattered before because Mew would always bring me around and fetch me from school. I realized just now how inconvenient it was in difficult times.

But before I can even step outside, he pulled my arm. "What?" I raised my voice as I glared at him.

I saw the dark circles under his eyes. He looked exhausted. It looked as if he didn't get a good night's sleep. I scoffed inside. The feeling was mutual then. I didn't, too.

"Let's talk." His voice was low and weak.

I shoved his hand away. I was still angry. I might really punch him for real. "Save it when you're ready not to lie to me anymore."

"Gulf, I-"

"Shut the hell up!" I cut him off and without another word, I left him again.

I just stayed in Boss's house all day. I asked him to just let me stay in his room to sleep. It was the weekend. His young siblings were all at home and he needed to take care of them, too. I didn't want to be a nuisance.

And I did. I really slept. I cried all night so my body was tired and spiritless. Boss just woke me up during lunchtime. He even brought my food up to his room. Such a thoughtful weakling. He left me alone so I can sleep some more. He's nosy but he really cares for me. I'm so thankful he's my friend.

I still kept checking my phone. I was hoping Mew would send a text message or try to call. When I didn't get any, I shut my phone off and put it in my bag. Disappointment was making me emotional again. So I slept again.

Dinnertime. Boss brought my food in his room again.

"Is your mom not wondering why I'm here all day?" I asked him.

Boss laughed. "She is of course. She's nosier than me."

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her you're mending a broken heart."

I glared at him. "What the fuck?"

He laughed again as he sat beside me on the bed. "HAHAHAHA! I should have recorded your reaction, man. You look funny."

"You're not funny!" I snapped, killing him with my eyes.

He still looked amused. "I don't care. You are. Seriously though, don't you want to go home now? I think you slept too much already."

I thought for a moment before I spoke. "Can I sleep here tonight?"

His eyes widened. "What? No way! Go home! Why are you dragging me into this madness of yours?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "What do you mean I'm dragging you into this madness? I just want to sleep here. I'll go home early tomorrow, don't worry"

He sat up straight and looked at me. "What's really wrong this time? What did Mew do?"

I really wanted to strangle him for mentioning Mew's name. "Why do you always think it's about him?"

It was his turn to roll his eyes at me. "You really think I don't know?"