016. Tug-of-War.

BIG yellow doors slide open to the game hall, revealing masked men standing in front of little stands with numbers on them representing each of the teams walking in. And up ahead, there's two big platforms separated. "I would now like to welcome you all to the third game." The man with the square mask spoke up.

"Today's game is Tug-Of-War. In order to win, you must pull the rope towards your platform in an attempt to drop your opponents down below." After this announcement, their team realize they might die because there's four girls, an old man and only five strong men. What a load of shit. Ji-Hoon glanced back, staring at Hyun-Jung behind him for a moment.

"Now, I will draw numbers to decide which two teams will play first. Everyone, please sit down." At that, everyone got down to the floor and took a seat. "First, the team that will play on the left tower." He said and then one of the other men with a circle mask took out a ball, raising it. "Team one. Team one, please stand up." He said and it was 101's team, they stood up and it was all men. "And now, the team that will play on the right tower." The man on the other side of him with a yellow box took out a ball next, raising it. "Team seven. Team seven, please stand up." The team all stand up.

"Teams one and seven will be the first teams to play. Will both teams please go to your towers." The man instructs them, each team had a circle guard lead them to the towers that lead up to the platforms up above. The other teams wait patiently, still seated as the teams above got ready for their game of Tug-Of-War.

As the teams got ready, the rope lifted slightly and two masked men up on the platform waved flags. The one standing in front of the other teams raised a gun and shot off at the ceiling then the game began. The two teams yell and grunt loudly but as expected, 101's team won aa the other team get dragged to the edge and pulled down. They hang dor a while and everyone gasped loudly.

The rope got cut and the team fell to their deaths. "What the fuck..." Hyun-Jung whispered quietly. "The following players, Player 245, Player 120, Player 37, Player 408, Player 27, Player 273, Player 58, Player 243, Player 327, and Player 241 are eliminated." The woman announced over the speakers as men down below enter the game hall to get the bodies and then men above set up another rope.

"I will now draw the teams for the next round. Team Four." The square guy said and Hyun-Jung quickly looked up, realizing that was their team so they all stood up. "Team Five." The team next to them stood up and Hyun-Jung immediately realized it was full of men, so obviously Sangwoo will have a problem with it.

"Team Four and Team Five, please go to your towers." The guy says and they all walk off to their sides of the two platforms just as they pass by 101's team. "Oh, man. I was looking forward to killing you guys." He said and laughed as they passed on by. They get to the elevator where they all walked in. "Come on. Don't lose your spirit. Tug-of-War needs more than just raw strength." Player 1 says.

"Well, then, what's it about, huh? We just go out there and speak to them?" 196 asked him and Hyun-Jung furrows her brows as she looks at him. "All you need is a good strategy in Tug-of-War and combined with good teamwork, you'll be able to win when you are against stronger teams." He says and another of the other new men that joined the team spoke up, "only one thing can help us now. It's the Lord himself, I know it." He says and 196 scoffs.

"You can barely stay standing, old man. So shut up and keep all your strength, okay?" He had raised his voice and Player 1 just clears his throat, looking away. "Wait a minute, let's hear what the old man says." Gi-Hun is quick to defend him. "Okay, when I was young, we always like Tug-of-War. It's a game I know well. And back then, I would always win, even if there was a wrestler on the other team, and it seemed the odds were stuck against us. Listen closely, and I'll tell you how my team and I were able to win even when it seemed impossible."

When they got to the top, the doors opened up and they walk out onto the platform. "First off, having a good leader is very important." Because of that, Gi-Hun was in the front. "The person is at the front and keeps an eye on how the other team is performing. And the rest of the team focuses on the back of their leader's head and follow their lead. If the leader seems weak or looks like their spirit is beginning to falter, then the game is already over."

They were all standing along the rope now, getting chained to it. "And then at the end of the rope, you'll need to have someone strong and dependable like the anchor of a ship." Ali had been chosen to be at the end. "After that, it's all about how you arrange the rest of your team. If one player is on the right side of the rope, then the next one should be on the left, all the way down the rope." And that's how they arranged their team, Gi-Hun on the left, Sangwoo behind him on the right, Ji-Hoon behind him on the left and behind him Hyun-Jung on the right, behind her was Sae-Byeok, behind her was 240, and so on, all the way to Ali at the end.

"Both of your feet should be facing straight forward, and then, hold the rope in your armpits." All of them arrange themselves to do exactly that, "that way, everyone can put in all of their strength. Finally, and this is absolutely the most important thing. Once the game begins, for the first ten seconds..." The men waved the flags and the other shot off his gun.

"You have to hold your ground." They all scream as they began to lean back. "You should lean back, practically lie down. Push your lower abdomen up to the sky, as hard as you can. And throw your head back to the point where you can almost see the groin of the person behind you." Hyun-Jung wasn't sure why that was a thing, she didn't want to do that, but she figures the old man was exaggerating.

"If you do that, the other team won't be able to pull us to their side. Just hold like this for ten seconds. Then the opposing team will start to get frustrated because they are thinking "why won't they budge?" Because they believed that they were much stronger. If you can hold out for that long, you will be able to catch a moment in your opponent's hold, and their rhythm breaks." They just kept their hold like that, waiting. "Now's our chance!" Gi-Hun shouted.

They all began pulling, shouting and grunting as they did. The red flag right in the middle of the rope began coming to their side. Team Five were nearing the edge, they just had to keep pulling. "Pull it together!" Their leader on the other side shouted and they began pulling back. They began getting pulled to the edge as the 212 yells from behind 240. "We're losing! Goddamn it! Do something!" She shouts.

"Get yourselves together and listen! Let's tru something. Take three steps up when I signal." Sangwoo shouted. "Up? What now? But that's the edge!" 212 yells as Ji-Hoon looks at Sangwoo. "Are you crazy?!" He exclaimed. "Look, just trust me and they'll fall!" Sangwoo shouted and Ji-Hoon glanced back at Hyun-Jung. "There's no way I'll do that!" 212 shouted, sounding absolutely terrified.

"We might as well try!" Gi-Hun shouts. "No way! I can't do it!" 212 shouted. "Move up or you'll die!" Sangwoo yells at them. "On the count of three! One! Two! Three!" They move up three steps just like Sangwoo said.

AUTHORS NOTE
this cliffhanger had me like 🤨 but considering gi-hun was the main character i knew all along he'd never die lmao
anyways i can't wait for marble game lol. i really wanna make myself cry 😜