023. Number 14.

AT bedtime, Hyun-jung was clutching her blanket tightly and staring at the ceiling when everyone was in bed. She can hear player 244 praying to himself and it was getting kind of annoying. Can't God still hear him if he's quiet or at least praying in his head? A lot of them were sitting up and so was Sae-byeok, who Hyun-jung kept glancing over at.

"Sae-byeok..." She whispered out and the girl slowly looked over at him. "Can I sit with you?" She whispered and Sae-byeok just nods, scooting to the side so Hyun-jung can join her. The girl sat down beside her, bringing her own blanket and looking at Sae-byeok. "I can't sleep..." She explains quietly.

"Did you know him well? Your friend?" Sae-byeok suddenly asked and Hyun-jung glanced away. "I met him the first day here... We promised to play and win together." She said and Sae-byeok frowns at that. She looked away and sighed. "What was her name? Did you at least get to find out? Player 240?" She asked and Sae-byeok glanced down at her lap.

"Ji-yeong..." She said quietly and Hyun-jung smiles softly. "Ji-yeong... And her family name?" She asked and Sae-byeok shook her head softly. "She said she didn't have one... I learned some stuff about her and she even told me she thought you were cool. And wished she had more time to get to know you." She said as she looked at the girl beside her.

"Maybe if we hadn't met in a place like this... we'd all be such good friends. Me, you, Ji-yeong and Ji-hoon." Hyun-jung smiled softly and Sae-byeok nodded, smiling faintly. "And... it'd all be perfect." She whispered and suddenly leaned her head onto the other girl's shoulder. Hyun-jung let her, looking away as she stared at their laps. Sae-byeok eventually fell asleep and Hyun-jung couldn't, she stayed awake.

When she became tired however, she let her head relax against Sae-byeok's and fell asleep like that. It wasn't long after, her dream started suddenly and ended just as quick when classical music played on speakers and the lights turned on, awakening everyone.

She yawns as she looks up, and noticed something was up when four of those men walked in with a box and a bow on it. She looked around and there the man was, hanging near where Gi-hun and Sangwoo were. They walked up to where the man was hanging and slowly let him down. "Player 69, eliminated." The lights dim and money fills the piggy bank.

"That's so sad..." Hyun-jung whispered, her eyes glossy and Sae-byeok looks at her, putting her hand to the girl's arm and rubbing gently. The money goes up to 44 billion won as the amount of players goes down to 16.

"Attention, all players. The fifth game is about to begin. All players, follow the staff's instructions and swiftly make your way towards the game hall." Just two more games. Just two more games. Everyone got up and followed the guard, going through the colourful staircases again and heading to the game hall.

When they got to the game hall, everyone stood together on the staircase before the row of mannequins all wearing vests with numbers, from number 1 to 16. They all stand there, a little confused. "Welcome, players, to the fifth game. Before we begin, please make your way down the steps and choose one of the mannequins that you see presented before you. Once you've chosen, take the corresponding vest. They are numbered 1 through 16. Let me repeat the instructions." As she repeats the instructions, Hyun-jung examines the mannequins and then everyone else.

No one moves, they just all stare at the mannequins like as if they don't know what to do. No one says anything either. Until the priest guy walks down the steps, approaching the vest with six on it. "It was on the sixth day that God created the first man on Earth. And now, I will go back to that day God made us... sinless and innocent." He grabs the vest.

Player 151, went to vest 7, grabbing it off the mannquin and after that everyone hurried to grab the middle numbers. "Your attention, please. The numbers you see on the mannequins correspond to the order in which you will be playing. Please make your decision carefully." After the announcement, Gi-hun goes first, walking to the front numbers. He stops suddenly and Hyun-jung's brows furrow.

"Number 14 and 15?" She then whispers to Sae-byeok who nods. "Let's go." She said and they walked off. They grab the numbers as Sangwoo grabs 13 and another man grabs 12. After that, 16 is left and they go join the others as they put on the vests. It was Gi-hun and another man left, vests 1 and 16 were left.

As Player 96 asked Gi-hun for number 1, Hyun-hung watched with a curious look then Gi-hun gave up the vest to him. The man thanks him hurriedly as he walks over to vest 16 now. The two men join them, putting on their vests and then they're instructed to form a line.

They walk into the room, "Hello, players, let me welcome you all to the fifth game. The fifth game is Glass Stepping Stones. The stepping stones before you are made from one of two types of glass, one will be tempered glass and the other will be normal glass. The tempered glass stepping stone as strong enough to hold the weight of two people. However, the normal glass will break even if just one person steps on it. For this game, you will guess which one of next two tiles is the tile made of the stronger tempered glass, and only step on those across the 18 pairs of tile. You may then cross over to the other side safely and pass this game."

AUTHORS NOTE
i'd be scared as fuck playing this game, like not only do i have the pressure of guessing which tile is the correct one in time, i also fall to my death if i don't get it right.