III

What makes a man...evil?

-VIOLET'S POINT OF VIEW -

My foot tapped anxiously against the wooden floors, as I rubbed circles in the palms of my hands; maybe I should have at least brought Phoenix along, instead of just letting her know my plan before leaving. I groaned as my brain began to fill with uneasy thoughts. No, I was trained by Vander. If anyone has a chance of winning a hand-to-hand combat it would be me. My tapping only grew faster as the sound of other people rushing towards me. I took a deep breath to calm my inner demons before raising to my feet to greet the men who I was about to battle. My eyes only widen in confused at the person who had entered the building.

"Vander?"

"We don't have much time" he sighed out before walking closer to me to place his hands on my shoulders.

"How did you find me?"

"I'm proud of you. Always have been...and it was Phoenix of course" I made a mental note that I would have to thank her later for warning Vander - out of all the things she's never reported back, I was actually glad this was one of those times she didn't listen to me.

"I'm sorry, I...this is the only way to protect the others." I replied honestly, not even sure why I thought of the crazy plan myself. I could hear faint dog barks in the distant.

"Vander" Benzo shouted at us, warning us to hurry.

"You've got a good heart. Don't ever lose it. No matter how the world tries to break you. Protect the family. Phoenix will watch over you all."

"What are you- no!" I didn't even get a chance to process what as happening as Vander began to push me towards a back door and shoved me down the 3 or 4 steps that lead to a back room, I groaned as my body slammed against the floor. I sat up quickly only to have him slam the door shut in my face and the sound of a lock echoing around me. "Vander! Let me out. This isn't right!" I screamed as I slammed my body against the door hoping to break it lose and escape.

"I'm guessing that's for me?" I heard a female voice speak up before a few footsteps were exchanged, then silence.

"You gonna let us make the arrest or not?" It was that small male Enforcers that's been after us since the incident. Why did his voice seem to haunt us?!

"You'll oblige a doomed man one last smoke, won't you?" I heard what I believed to be one of Vander's matches light.

"I'm not putting you away, Vander."

"The Council needs it pound of flesh..."

"Without you down here, it all falls apart-"

"Benzo will handle things. He may not have my devilish charm, but he runs a tight ship." Vander

25

finished the whole time my repeated thuds bounced off the walls around me.

"Vander, no! You can't do this!" I screamed as I knocked my body against the door more. Why did he have to interfere! It would have been me! Just me! I'm the reason the whole building blew up! If we had never even went to the surface! If I never took them there! AH, if only I had never listened to that damn tip!

"You won't be coming back for a long time"

"I know" the sound of faint metal cuffs clicking in place only fueled my bitter anger.

"Why?" the woman asked Vander.

"Mm, it's the only way"

"Benzo, open the damn door! Fuck where was Phoenix when I needed her!" I slammed my fist against the door again to receive silence in return. Why was he doing this?! My focus was shifted when I heard a fearful scream by the window in the room, I was locked in. There were shadows of people running. "What's happening?" I ran over to the window hoping to get a better look. It didn't help the colored glass was at a weird angle and rested much higher on the wall than me. I did my best to see what was happening.