IV

When does a dream become a nightmare?

I couldn't help the tears that began to form at the sight before me. There they were...all of them, my family; alive and well! I was too shocked to even speak. How were they here? Roc stood by our father over at Vander's bar while my mother stood in the back laughing at her husband's comments. I stood frozen by the front door unable to even comprehend what was going on; am I dead?

"Are you just gonna stand there all-day dumbass or come join us?"

"Roc, be nice to your sister! Come on over here, honey" our mom glared at him before waving her hand over towards me. I slowly took my first step towards them hesitant of what was happening, but it didn't take long before my feet took off beneath me, running into my mother's arms; throwing my arms around her waist and sinking to my knees. "Good, heavens are you okay Phoenix?"

"I-I've missed y-you guys so m-m-much!" I struggled to speak as I cried into her top. Her arms wrapped around my shoulders deepening the hug.

"What do you mean? We just left this morning?" our father laughed out as he glanced between me and Roc. I turned to face him with my brows raised.

"Th-This morning? What are you t-talking about, it's been like 10 years since I've seen you guys?" I cried out glancing between both of my parents.

"Phoenix calm down, your brains being crazy again" Roc chuckled out as he munched on his snacks; now my attention fell to him.

"What? Roc, it's been 3 years - nearly 4 since you died!"

"Ha! Do I look dead to you my dear sister?"

"Well...no but- "

"Then what's the problem?" I slumped my shoulders in defeat. He was right they were right here, and they were alive after all; why was I trying so hard to ruin that?

This isn't real Phoenix! Wake up now!

"Hmm, what was that?" I asked aloud watching them all look between each other before reassuring me that they didn't hear anything. Ha, Roc's right my brain is wild. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "Okay, sorry everyone for being so...weird. It's just felt like forever since we've all been together like this, I guess" I smiled as our father came marching over to me and pulled me into a hug.

"Oh, look at my baby! All grown up and missing her parents!" I chuckled as I accepted his hug with open arms. "Come on, let's go home"

~

It had been a week since we've all been home like this. Everyone came home each night, and we all ate dinner as a family - it was such a refreshing feeling to know everyone was safe and happy. I groaned as I pulled myself from my bed and out my room to the living room where everyone seemed to spend most of their time. I yawned as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes as I felt a hand pat me on my shoulders.

35

"It's about time you woke up, mom and dad are both waiting for us outside" I looked up at him with raised brows.

"Outside? Why are they outside?"

"Who knows...why don't you go find out?" he said with a smile before his hands slipped off my shoulders to my mid back and began to push me towards the back door; to lead me outside to my awaiting parents.

"W-Wait! I need my shoes!"

"No way, you'll be fine. Let's go!" I screamed as I was shoved outside nearly falling on my face as I tripped over the large step that lead from our back door to the dirt ground . I released a sigh with my hands on my knees as I tried to refil my lungs with the air it was robbed.