15. Unexpected Companion

Previously ....

I  leave the cultivation world. With each passing by I increasingly start losing grip on reality, going on autopilot through the routine. Mostly I prefer the comfort of the woods, away from an human contact unless necessary, when one day my routine breaks and I meet someone I never hoped to meet any time soon, if ever.

---

"YOU! What are you doing here? Alive?" I spat at the sorry excuse of barely human lump lying on the ground. 

Whimpering he tried to get up, and instantly I grabbed a piece of wooden stick from the ground and held it against him in caution.

"Xue Yang, don't even think of trying anything" I threatened him.

"Senior Wei, I understand if you do not trust me." He spoke softly so unlike his usual style. Surely a trick up his sleeve.

"Trust?" I let out a cold laugh." Please such words don't sound right coming from you. What do you know about trust, except how to shatter it"

Is that pain I see in his eyes? No - No better be careful of him and not get trapped in the web of lies that he spouts .

I prodded again, "How are you alive? I thought Song Lan killed you after we left."

"No he didn't. He surely wanted to but he didn't"

Huh? Why would Song Lan keep him alive I wonder. I asked. "And why may I ask he bestowed this mercy upon you?"

He scoffed. "Oh no it was not a mercy i assure you. He wanted me to suffer bitterly and miserably. In the time that he was under my control he understood and remembered how desperately I wanted to bring back Xiao Xingchen. After the fight he wanted that I lead a life knowing what I destroyed and repent for it. He stopped the bleeding on my recently amputated hand, and blocked my core as well as meridians and left me there."

Wow I am impressed with Song Lan. "Well so why didn't you fix yourself and continue wrecking havoc?"

He replied, " I cannot fix myself."

"Oh so that is why you need my help. I see it now. Either you want me to fix you or take you to Song Lan and ask him to do that"

"No I don't want that." He again replied.

Surely another lie? I really don't believe him, "Oh really?  Why don't you go back to your master with the tail tucked between your legs"

"I don't want to that either." He responded the same again.

I wonder what exactly is his plan now. "Then what do you want?"

He then revealed, "Even though this is what Song Lan wanted I know he never expected this of me. But I want to repent. I know I cannot fix whatever I have done, but going forward I want to be better. Someone that would not hurt Him"

"Why do you think I should believe you?" Especially after all that is done. Even though there is a voice at the back of my head saying I have been in similar situations and just wanting someone to hear me out.

He then spoke almost pleadingly, hoping I would agree, "I know I may not be able to convince you but I would I like to tell you a story"

Sensing that it would be something important and maybe even sensitive I said, "Sure go ahead but first tell me how did you track me down. No, don't expect me to believe that you just happened to be in my path"

He agreed, " You are right this wasn't a coincidence. I was in the village a few days back when I thought I saw you. Sure I had heard rumors of what was done but I hadn't believe it especially after the incidents of our last meet. But seeing you like that confirmed them. And I wanted to talk to you so I followed and after thinking hard how to get the change I decided to 'bump' into you today"