Chapter Fifteen

(Dante's Journal) Entry Eight

Okay so I have to make everything all right again, and if I finish that and she’s still angry with me, then I will happily leave.

            This is going to be an all night kind of thing. And it also requires me to leave the ship and enter a mercenaries ship. That requires stealth and a whole lot of luck. I have to skillfully acquire a bunch of engine parts. And that requires a skillful touch.

            The time was about after 2 am! Ajoni was still locked in her room, Talon has gone back to his ship, and the rest of the ship is fast asleep, dreaming. I got out of my room and past every door without making a sound yet, and without seeing anyone wandering the halls. I’m hoping that, that is a good sign. Now, sneaking off the ship is the next task. When I got to the door to the entrance, I found one of the crews’ logouts so they will end up on the ships log instead of me, they will get in trouble, not me. I never noticed how easy walking off this ship was. I literally just walked off. That’s it! Ajoni really needs better security on this ship. I’ll have to mention it to Sarg, and my father, if he ever speaks to me again.

            The tricky part will be getting on to the mercenaries ship. I know he has to have some high tech security system. Maybe I should take that was well, it would bump up the security on Ajoni’s ship. But the one thing I was counting on was that the system isn’t immune to electrokinisis.

            Finding the power box is easy, if you want to fry a system, here is a tip. Always look right beside the entrance, there should be a panel there. It only takes a few screws to take off. When you have the wires exposed, find the blue and white wires. They disable the audio and video feed, then – like some stupid movie – cut the red wire, that opens the door. And there you have it! A few simple tips on how to break onto a ship.

            But in this case, that won’t work. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

            Putting my hand against the power surge box, I focused. Using electrokenisis takes a lot of concentration and power. In the next few seconds I could feel the system shut down, without setting any flags up. When the last security system shut down, I opened the door, with a sigh; I walked onto the ship cautiously.

            So far so good, I began my search of the ship and found the sleeping quarters. Taking a quick peek, I found Talon fast asleep. I tip-toed my way down to the engine room, you know I never thought about the fact that this was a Gyptain ship, so to say it in simple terms, half of the engine parts were completely different!

            I took what I needed for Ajoni’s ship and would have to deal with making the other half of the parts. Now, getting on the ship was easy enough, I now had six engine parts in my hands, they’re heavy and I still had to start the ships systems back up again. My options were to either take everything back to the other ship and come back, or drop everything here. Well sneaking off once was enough for me, so I carefully put everything down and once again concentrated on meticulously putting on all security feeds without sending any flags up. Grabbing the parts up from the ground I ran back to Ajoni’s ship; overriding the systems and tip-toed past everyone’s quarters.

            Dropping everything once I was inside my engine room, I took up my work belt and strapped it around my waist and started filling it with the essential tools. I got to work.

            I am not going to explain every god damned I had to do to fix, put together or make. You would either get really bored or get completely lost in my words. But I will tell you this. The six parts I got from Talons ship fit almost perfectly except for the few things I had to make fix. But there were still twelve parts I had to physically make. Making parts out spares and parts of other ships is the fun part, and also it’s the easiest part in a way, because you can make them according to the exact measurements.

            By the time I was finished, I had grease covering half of me, and burns on every inch of exposed skin, at one point, my favorite pajamas touched part of the engine and burned holes through them.

            I was exhausted to the extreme. It was seven fifty and I forgot to put my resignation letter on Ajoni’s mirror. Damn! Running up the stairs and through the halls, I came up to Ajoni’s sleeping quarters. One more play on my electrokenisis and the door opened silently. I could see her sleeping peacefully, she didn’t  seem to be too torn up about this fight. I guess it really didn’t matter to her. I put my letter on her mirror. So much for professional when there were smudge marks and greasy finger prints all over the paper, but oh hell, this was the end.

            Before her alarm sounded, I rearranged her lock system and slipped past the camera’s. I would be gone before she even noticed. Instead of going back to the engine room of her ship, I strode straight off and to the Starship.

            I could spend the rest of my life there happily, as soon as I got down to their engine room floors, I laid down beside one of the running generators and quickly fell asleep.

End Transmission