prolouge

-KATNISS-

I'm in the meadow with Peeta. The sun is out and there's no clouds in the sky. We are having a picnic date. He picks a dandelion  and hands it to me. "For you." He says. As I'm looking at it, I hear the voice of someone I never wanted to see again. President Snow. "Well if it isn't Panem's favorite couple." He says with venom in his voice. Before Peeta can do anything to help me, President Snow cuts off his remaining leg and throws his prosthetic leg over the fence. "Now you can't escape me." He said evilly. Two of his guards show up and grab ahold of me. "Hold her really still. I want her to watch the show." He orders them. Their grip tightens on me. Snow walks over to Peeta and pulls out a deadly looking knife. He cuts Peeta's arms. After doing some more damage to Peeta with the knife, he pulls out a gun and shoots him twice. Once in the chest and once in the face.

I wake up crying and covered in sweat. As I'm trying to convince myself that it was all a dream, I hear Peeta's footsteps running up the stairs. Shortly after hearing that, my bedroom door opens and I see Peeta's concerned face looking at me. "I just had a nightmare." I tell him. "It's okay. I get them too." Peeta says. He turns to leave the room. "Peeta, will you stay with me?" I ask. Peeta comes over to me. "Yeah." He says. He gets into my bed and wraps his arms around me. Before I fall asleep again, I hear the one word that calms me down come out of his mouth.

"Always ."