Chapter 11

Katniss

*Three months later*

"Peeta!" I call out. I don't get an answer so I get up to look for him. I head downstairs into the kitchen and notice the smell of baked goods "Are there any cheesebuns?" I ask. Peeta turns around and finally notices me. "You scared me. I'm never going to get used to your quiet footsteps." He says. "I called for you." I say. "Sorry. I was in a baking mood. And there are cheesebuns in the oven right now, to answer your question." He says. Just then the timer on the oven beeps. "Speaking of cheesebuns." He says, pulling the pan out. My stomach grumbles at the sight of them. "What's with all the baked goods?" I ask. "Menu tasting for the new bakery." Peeta answers. "Add cheesebuns to the menu." I say. Peeta laughs. "Obviously." He says. "What should we taste first?" I ask. "I think we should start with the cookies." He says, putting two on a small plate. I take one and bite into it. "I think everyone will like this." I say. "I agree. And we can frost them different ways and let the customers choose which ones they want." Peeta says. But I'm only half listening to him.."That's cool." I answer sadly. Peeta puts the cookie down. "Is something wrong?" He asks. I shake my head to clear it. That's when I notice my face is wet. "Come here." Peeta says. I walk into his arms and cry. He holds me in his arms until the tears finally stop. For a while we are both silent. "What was your favorite thing about her?" Peeta asks. I look at him, confused by the question. "It's something that the doctors taught me." He explains. "She would help my mother heal the wounded with no fear at all." I say. "Ok good. Now what's your favorite memory of her?" Peeta asks. "Her dragging me to see the cakes in the bakery window." I answer. After a few more questions, I begin to relax and feel less sad. "I wish there was a way to keep the memories of the people we lost. Maybe it would help us both heal." Peeta says. "Like some type of book?" I ask.

As soon as the words leave my mouth, I have an idea. I head to the study to use the phone and call the doctor in the Capitol. After a few rings, he answers. "Hey it's Katniss. I have a favor to ask you." I say.

A/N

I know I'm not following the timeline at all. But I wanted to add them making the memory book