Chapter 8

-KATNISS-

After hugging me for a while longer, my mother finally lets go. I open my mouth to say something when a round of beeping comes from the television. All three of us and Buttercup turn to see what's going on. On the screen is the Capitol seal and under it are the words 'EMERGENCY BROADCAST'. Ceaser's face appears on the screen. But he's not smiling. Hello residents of Panem. Tonight I'm bringing you some very bad news. A passenger train heading to District four has crashed and caught on fire. So far 13 people have been confirmed to be dead. We will keep you updated as officials investigate what has happened. We take you to our president with a few words." He says.

The screen cuts to Paylor in front of the mansion. "We are all very sad about this unfortunate accident that has occurred today. As president, I would like to offer my condolences to the families of the people who have passed away. I will personally make sure that your loved ones are given the proper care as we bring them home for you to lay them to rest. Train travel is canceled for now but we will let you know when you can travel again." She says. Then the broadcast ends.

Just then the phone rings and I go to answer it. "Katniss Everdeen. You better tell me right this second that your mom was not on that train." Annie says. I laugh. "Don't worry Annie. She's here with me." I say. "Oh thank goodness. I was worried about her. Let me talk to her." She says. I hand the phone to my mother and go into the living room. I sit down on the couch and Buttercup jumps up onto my lap. I scratch him between his ears for a few minutes and then he gets down. My mother comes out of the study and sits in the rocking chair. "It looks like I'm stuck here until further notice. I hope they open travel again before the baby is born. Annie really wants me there." She says. "Do you know what she's having?" I ask. My mother shakes her head. "I don't. Sorry." She says. "Since when are interested in babies? Are you hoping to have a baby with bread boy?" Haymitch asks. "Absolutely not." I say as I stand up and leave the room.