- Chapter 8 -

Y/N expected things to be awkward after Childe had said what he did, but things got back to normal rather quickly. They talked for a while and continued watching movies until they were both tired.

'It's 11. I think we should go to sleep if we're going to leave for school tomorrow. You can take the couch; I have a spare mattress.' 

They both got their makeshift beds prepared and as Y/N was about to close her eyes, she noticed Childe walk towards her.

'Huh? Didn't you say - '

Childe gently kissed Y/N's cheek then dashed off into his own bed. Y/N smiled to herself.

'... Goodnight, Childe.'

'Goodnight, Y/N!'

 Soon they were both asleep in the living room, happy for each other's company.

♥︎            ~              ♥︎         ~           ♥︎        ~         ♥︎           ~            ♥︎            ~         ♥︎              ~         ♥︎             ~              ♥︎

Sunlight streamed through the windows as Y/N felt someone lightly shake her awake.

'Y/N... wake up. Y/NNN – '

'Mm. What?'

'Wake up. Hurry up and get ready.' Childe was crouched near the sofa as the girl yawned and woke up. 

The pair began hastily getting ready, and soon enough they left the house and began walking to school.

'Oh, Childe, where are your parents by the way? They weren't there when I was over so – '

'Business trip. Probably.'

'Probably?'

'I don't know, okay?'

'Oh. Sorry? Did you – did you hear about... Ve – '

'Yeah, I did. It sucks, but we can't really do anything about it. He was kinda annoying anyways.'

'Childe. Are you okay? You can't just say that. His family are heartbroken. You know, his friend, the one that looks strangely a lot like him, he's devastated, he keeps blaming himself for his friend's death.'

'No-one knows how he died anyways. He could have killed himself or something.'

'Venti would never – '

'Are you sure about that?'

Childe looked at Y/N silently.

'O – of course, I am! He... he seemed fine when we last saw him... '

'You don't know that.'

'Childe... are you mad at me?'

'Yes. I mean no. Maybe.' Childe shrugged then began walking away.

He's definitely mad at me.

Y/N finally reached school and went to her first class immediately as the bell rang almost the second she arrived. Chemistry with Diluc. That would be fun. Y/N walked into the classroom and sat down in a random seat as Diluc began writing on the board.

'Now, get out your homework from last week – '

Oh. About that –

'Okay, now swap with the person next to you to mark it.'

Y/N looked at the person on her right. Xingqiu.

Like he's going to let me get away with it –

'Where's your work, Y/N?' Xingqiu asked the girl, almost mockingly.

'Yes, where is your homework, Y/N?' Diluc turned around to stare at Y/N.

Xingqiu, I hate you.

'Uh, I was...'

Yeah, I was held hostage by my teacher for two weeks, is that a good enough excuse?

'I was sick for two weeks, so I wasn't able to do the work.'

'I do not tolerate lying.'

How does he know?

Whispers broke out as students began laughing quietly to each other.

Diluc sighed. 'See me after class.'

Y/N nodded silently.

'Use your words.'

'Yes... Sir.'

'Anyways, continuing on...'

Y/N wasn't sure if she was more irritated at Xingqiu or Diluc.

'Okay, now open your textbooks to page 68, which I trust you have, and write down the following – '

I hate this.

Once the lesson ended, Y/N gathered her stuff and walked over to Diluc.

'I have a valid reason why I didn't do the homework and don't have my books – '

'I did not know an illness could make your belongings simply disappear. If you were sick at all. A certain friend of yours has told me you went to his house perfectly healthy, Y/N.'

'I... accidentally locked myself out of my house. So I had to go to his house – '

'But according to him, you just wanted to talk to him. According to him, you were perfectly fine this whole time.'

'I was sick!' Y/N protested.

'Should I bring the person I am speaking of here so we all could have a talk in the staff room after school?'

'That's not what I mean. Maybe I wasn't sick but I still – '

The bell rang that signalled the start of the next lesson. 'I... have to go now. Bye.'

And Y/N bolted out the door.