- Chapter 21➥ Choice 2 -

'I can't forgive you. I hate you, Childe.'

Childe stayed silent. He stared at Y/N, his piercing gaze searing through her.

'Oh.'

That was all he could say.

'You, know, you promised Y/N.'

'I'm so sorry. Childe... We'll be together in the future, okay? I just need to get my life together first -'

'You promise?'

'I promise.'

'Thank you, Y/N.'

'I'm sorry...'

'No, you're not. If you were truly sorry, you would love me. Even after all this.'

Y/N sighed. 

'I guess you're right. I trusted you. I thought... there was a time when I had loved you, Childe. A time when I would have given up everything to be in your company. But... you've changed.'

'I've changed?'

Childe laughed lightly, his eyes widening in disbelief. 

'I did all this for you. It took so much planning. You have no idea. Creating all this... was not easy. All for me to be close to you.'

Childe's body practically pressed against Y/N's as he continued.

'You're the reason I live, Y/N. So, if you don't love me, then...'

Childe slowly brought out something from his pocket. 

'There is no need for me to exist at all.'

Y/N let out a soundless gasp as Childe's hand curled around the trigger. She managed to shove Childe in the chest, toppling him backwards and leaving the bullet to fly astray.

'No...' Childe stared down at the gun, his grip tightening.

'Why do you care what happens to me? Let me end this already.'

'Just because I don't love you doesn't mean I want you to die. Now listen to me and - '

'I don't care. I've failed everything. They figured it all out. The plan... everything. I'll probably be locked up for years anyways. I wouldn't have started this if you'd have said... that you'd loved me.'

'I'm not falling for that. Childe - '

'Y/N. Thank you. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for loving you. And I'm sorry for thinking... you'd ever love me back.'

'I like you, Y/N.'

The gunshot. The smile. It happened in a split second. Childe's body collapsed at the impact of the bullet that seared through his scalp. Blood splattered the walls crimson.

'N-no - '

Childe's body lay, unmoving, as he inhaled sharply for the final time.

Tears sprung at Y/N's eyes.

Why?