38 ✧ Christmas Day

1978 Decemeber __________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

"Merlin, I cannot believe we are staying in fucking Blackpool!" One of the Slytherins complained from her seat on the leather couch. The house in the countryside nearest to Blackpool was considerably nice, it was large and housed about 20 pureblooded children; the argument for having so little was something to do with not wanting to alarm Dumbledore or any Hogwarts staff. "This is so povo." She whined yet again.

Y/N had never gotten along with many of the Slytherins, although one herself, she thought them to be often cruel and rude. She noticed how many of them, boys and girls, would look down their noses at people when they spoke to them. She didn't belong with such people. She was sitting on the veranda, the window connected to the lounge room open (she could hear the vicious conversation inside). She was alone, Regulus had gone to investigate the river nearby.

"This is so humiliating!" A male voice called out this time. "And the people they chose to be here... disgusting."

"Like that one over there," a new, feminine, voice whispered, clearly in reference to Y/N. "I heard she sucked Sirius' dick in the prefects bathroom."

"I thought it was Potter's?" The original voice spoke.

"She probably did them both the whore, poor Regulus." A voice snickered.

Without wanting to hear another word, Y/N got up from her chair and walked towards the lounge room, casting them a glance as she walked through. She made her way to the dark wood kitchen, needing a drink of some description, alcohol would be best but unfortunately no one had that on hand. It was Christmas, Christmas Day, and no one had even uttered any jolly holiday greetings to one another. This house was like a home for unloved children, bitching and moaning because it's easier than accepting that their parents didn't come to visit sooner.

The fireplace by the lounge room lit up in hues of green and blue, from the ashes emerged Lucius Malfoy, without his wife. He had a small bag in one hand, and about twelve letters in the other, his cold gaze washed over the group, then to the kitchen where he could see Y/N rummaging through the cupboards.

"Letters, presents." He spoke. "Where are the others?"

"Most of the younger children are outside, and Regulus is by the lake." Y/N swiftly answered. She walked over to Lucius and gave him an awkward hug, which he returned quite frigidly. "Where is Cissy?"

"She...had other arrangements for today, however she did have a present for you and Regulus in particular." He nodded. "This bag is enchanted with an extension charm, feel free to find your presents, put them under the tree or something." He stated, as he threw down the bag for them all to see. "And letters." He put them above the fireplace, he quickly ensured the letters wouldn't fly away by placing the nearest bust statue over them. "Some adults will be here to have a Christmas dinner with you all, look festive."

Without uttering any words of goodbye, Lucius left as quickly as he had come. The group of four on the couches immediately ran for the letters, as Y/N began to unpack the presents from the bag. She brought all the presents to the dinning room, separating them by person, each child had a relatively big pile, a boy named Simon with the biggest of the lot.

Y/N grabbed the bag, shoving her and Regulus' gifts into the bag before pushing her way into the group, grabbing their letters from the clutches of the four. She sprinted down the grassy hills that the house sat upon, an uneasy feeling swelling in the pit of her stomach. "Regulus!" She yelled out once she had reached the river, but he was nowhere to be seen, and it was cold. She screamed his name out once more, her eyes moving around.